Chicken eye pecked out. What do I do?

Mama Farley

Songster
Sep 6, 2018
It’s been about 2 weeks since it happened. It was covered in white pus but looked ok otherwise. So I thought it could heal on its own. Not so sure now. It’s still covered with white crust and it looks swollen tonight. Any advice? I can’t take it to a vet bc I’m in quarantine right now.

Immediately following the injury, did you flush the eye socket with saline or soap and water and pack it with antibiotic ointment? Have you cleaned and kept it moist each day since? If so, it should be healing all right.

If you didn't care for the wound, it's now very likely infected. It would be red and swollen and have an odor of road kill.

So. Tell us which path you took. And if it was the second one, try to get a good photo of the wound so we can see the extent of the problem.

Here are photos. It was doing good. I didn’t put antibiotic on it bc it was moist and wasn’t swollen. Last night it swole up. Today it’s more swollen.

There’s no odor.

Attachments

• EC1467D4-A137-481B-B717-C19D2D19FA3A.jpeg
    EC1467D4-A137-481B-B717-C19D2D19FA3A.jpeg
    923.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 519A2DD7-52A2-481E-89BE-141D92AE19DF.jpeg
    519A2DD7-52A2-481E-89BE-141D92AE19DF.jpeg
    770.4 KB · Views: 54
I would get some saline eye wash by Bausch and Lomb at the drugstore or Walmart, and flush the eye with that or homemade saline, and try to clean it out with QTips or cotton. Clean it out twice a day and then apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Are you certain the eye is gone? Sometimes they can suffer a peck and the swelling can hide an intact eye. Either way, I would clean out the pus. Do you have any access to antibiotics?

I can do that. I am not certain the eye is gone. I’m kind of squeamish. I will clean it out tomorrow. What kind of antibiotics? I have some left over antibiotics from a burn I endured a couple months ago. I don’t know much about about tractor supply antibiotics. I’m pretty sure if I ask my vet for antibiotics, they would prescribe it and let somebody else pick it up for me.

Amoxicillin or clavamox be good if it is a peck wound. If a respiratory disease could have caused the gunk and if he has any signs of respiratory infection, Tylosin or something that treats MG might be better. Baytril which is banned in chickens, is sometimes prescribed by vets, since it treats so many things.

I cleaned it tonight. I was scared but it wasn’t as bad as I thought. I got a HUGE pus plug out. There’s still pus but I wanted to be kind. I put neosporin on it. She is now in the house, eating and drinking. My test came back negative today so I’m free to get what I need. Poor baby. It looks like the eye is gone. The plug of pus I got out was about the size of a thimble. Immediately, she calmed down. There’s still swelling. I think it’s got to feel better. After I put her down, she was off balance. Hopefully, it will be better tomorrow. I can’t clean it until tomorrow afternoon. My husband says it’s too gross for him to clean. Lol!

It’s not respiratory. We have a rooster that keeps killing chickens. He pecks the eyes out and then tramples them.

Back
Top Bottom