Chicken face swelling after pretty bad head wound

highrockieschic

Songster
8 Years
May 12, 2014
Hi, I am new to chickens. My flock is almost 4 months old. One of my pullets was hurt by a young cockerel about a week ago. He left a large hole in the back of her head. I rinsed it out with warm water and poured hydrogen peroxide on it a few times, then just let it be. Right after that we got rid of the cockerel. The other pullets didn't peck at the wound, so we let her be with the flock while healing. The wound itself has scabbed over and a lot of it has grown new skin. It looks really healthy to me, but my poor chicken's face is pretty swollen and looking a little bit more pale than normal. Should I be worried? Or is this just part of healing? She doesn't stink. She's eating and drinking water. And she acts normal. Any feedback would be helpful.

I hear you that her face is swollen, but it's also "more pale"? Her face is pale? Not her comb? I'm sorry, I don't understand. But that's pretty standard for me... Could you possibly post a picture of it?

She is a barred rock pullet. She is still pretty young, so her face and comb have not turned red yet, still pinkish. She is swollen around her eyes and ear area, and it's looking a little pale. I can post a picture tomorrow.

Last edited:
Here she is this morning.

The wound itself looks fine? Make sure there is no pus in it. Maybe use a warm Epsom compress to soften the scab and loosen one end. It is possible that it some residual swelling that is settling in the face. Swelling doesn't have much room to get into on a chicken head. I would keep a close eye on the swelling. It shouldn't be getting worse. Next time use an Epsom salts warm rinse and either use triple antibiotic ointment (without pain killer) or vetricyn. Peroxide is rough on the tissues.

The wound itself looks great. I couldn't get a picture because I don't have enough hands. I needed one to hold her down and one to hold her head and lift the feathers up. There's no pus, just a thick, dark scab. And the skin has grown back a little around the edges.

I would just keep an eye on her then. I don't know what it could be unless it is the swelling settling toward the face. Good luck. Keep us posted on her progress.

Back
Top Bottom