Chicken Feathers...

SilverMoon

Chirping
10 Years
Nov 30, 2011
In The Shadows With MyChickens
Hello again SilverMoon here with another little question. Is it normal for chickens to help each other in grooming? I dont know if it can be called grooming but we have all noted that when our black hens are taking a dirt bath their buff sisters come in and yes eat their feathers. Yesterday family noted that one had a balding kinda spot on their neck. So I wonder if there is a way to have them stop plucking or eating their sisters feathers. And will this sort of thing come back...meaning new feathers. Thank you for taking time to read and view plus answer my question
smile.png
. -SilverMoon-

I had same thing happen last summer I added black sunflower seeds to their feed....they. Eat feathers when they do not get enough proteins by feeding the sunflower seeds it usually makes them stop eating feathers ....there is a scientific reason behinfpd it but I forget maby the added proteins from the seeds or some thing but try it it worked for me and some other people that I know that had the same problem....hope this helps and give it a week or so...let me know

I had same thing happen last summer I added black sunflower seeds to their feed....they. Eat feathers when they do not get enough proteins by feeding the sunflower seeds it usually makes them stop eating feathers ....there is a scientific reason behinfpd it but I forget maby the added proteins from the seeds or some thing but try it it worked for me and some other people that I know that had the same problem....hope this helps and give it a week or so...let me know
Ooh ok sounds like I should see and try this. I was just concerned because you can see the bare spots on their chest. I know molting in birds and I dont think its that.But yeah ok we do have sunflower seeds but if they need black ones I will definitely look into putting that into their feed or as treat snacks. Thank you for the advice =) I will definitely try it. -SilverMoon-

Back
Top Bottom