1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken feet for dogs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Smithyard Farm, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Smithyard Farm

Smithyard Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Pembroke NH
    can anyone tell me what they do to the feet after processing to feed to the dogs? do you just dry them? I have a bunch n my freezer that I don't know what to do with

thanks!

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have never heard about drying feet for dogs it seems like a chicken bone is a chicken bone and not good for dogs. my grandmother used to boil them and eat the skin that peels off. when my mother got married my grandmother cooked some and put one foot on each plate and told them to go scratch for themself

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I give my dogs the feet right off the bird when we butcher, I don't do anything except cut them off the carcass.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Supposedly, if you peel the skin off of them, they make really good chicken stock. Haven't tried it yet though.

5. rehric00

rehric00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    I am also wondering about this. I have been told that they can sell for up to $4 a pair at auctions. How much bone is in the feet? I might be leery about feeding to the dogs ..... and no, I will not make stock with them. But, if I can sell them- by all means, I will!

6. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    if peeled when butchered they make very good stock...now my grandma fried them in some batter and we ate them when I was little. and I remember they where very good. but never have done it after she died...jeff

7. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    my grandma peeled them then boiled them . yuck

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think this would totally depend on your area, and the ethnicities present. Some things are more valued by different cultures, thus have a higher price. I live in white-bread Southern Oregon, so thing that sell well for places with large Asian, Hispanic, etc cultures won't sell as well here. I hear of folks selling silkies for meat, as some cultures like the black skin. Here, can't hardly give them away.

9. sandman221

sandman221 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2013
    I cut them off and feed just like they are. Chicken bones are fine for dogs to eat as long as there not cooked. When cooked they splinter which is where the danger comes in

10. clankeyes

clankeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Ferndale , WA
    my SIL is a chef and she uses them to make a thick stock. says it makes the soup taste better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by