CHICKEN / FOWL NAMES! To Name or Not to Name? Do You Name Yours? W/ Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks

@kajira
pop.gif

I forgot to post their names...

Main Rooster : Biter
Main RIR Top Alpha Hen : Tiny (because she was the tinest RIR we had, but now she's the only survivor.)
Then we have white fluff our white cochin.

My daughter named the black cochin Mrs. Black.
Ms White and Ms White #2. They are blue cochins... but they are fairly light colored.

The three polish crested are unnamed, as is the red sex linked hen.

In our juvie pen, we have Red 1, 2,3,4,5, and the Rooster, Mr. yellow.

We have Rexi the silkie, and Star the tricolored black cochin.

We also have 5 turkeys, baby girl, Peepers, the biggest turkey that never shuts up, hence, peeper - because thats the sound he makes, then the Three turkeys, Larry, Curly and Moe - but I don't know if they are boys or girls.

in our EE pen, we have Hershey, Thing 1 and 2 (roosters) Selma, Louise, Astrid, Pretty Girl, and Ginger.

Our 4 ducks outside are Meat and Cheese, and Leroy and Jinxie.

The other 10 ducks are unnamed so far, as are the 5 of the newest silkies in the brooder. Lucky is the alpha Silkie in the brooder right now.

We also have 4 brown cochins, that will be fullsized, and are currently unnamed. I had to remove them from the duck brooder, because the ducks were plucking their feathers out.

I, personally, WOULD name every single animal of which I was in charge, or their chief support.

Why?

I think:

It's humane.

For the little while on Earth that they have?

I believe it's our duty to raise and slaughter with humane principles and practices; naming is one of them.

Give them dignity.

And too?

I believe this helps us to understand and husband them.

If we feel that we cannot ethically slaughter a named animal?

Then I submit that we rethink our culpability.

If, on the other hand, and I DO eat and prepare meat... we feel we are doing everything within our power as humans to care for our living food sources ethically? Then we should NOT feel guilty, and naming them helps us to be more a part of the process of raising and slaughtering them: this helps bring it home, and I believe that's a good thing.

We need to consider our actions, and if we feel justified? And again: whilst I have never slaughtered an animal, I AM a chef and have been a restaurateur: I do not object to ethical slaughtering of many livestock species for food: then we should feel perfectly safe and perfectly at ease with naming them; indeed, it is my personal contention that we should feel obligated to.

Living beings are not numbers, and they should not be treated as such.

This happens when we do not care: when we have no respect for life: I think of WWII, as one example.

This is my candid opinion, for whatever it's worth.

I would not seek to judge or convey disapproval; since asked? I thought it respectful to the OP to answer honestly.

Be well,

~RA

Last edited:
I, personally, WOULD name every single animal of which I was in charge, or their chief support.

Why?

I think:

It's humane.

I believe it's our duty to raise and slaughter with humane principles and practices; naming is one of them.

Give them dignity.

And too?

If, on the other hand, and I DO eat and prepare meat... we feel we are doing everything within our power as humans to care for our living food sources ethically? Then we should NOT feel guilty, and naming them helps us to be more a part of the process of raising and slaughtering them: this helps bring it home, and I believe that's a good thing.

We need to consider our actions, and if we feel justified? And again: whilst I have never slaughtered an animal, I AM a chef and have been a restaurateur: I do not object to ethical slaughtering of many livestock species for food: then we should feel perfectly safe and perfectly at ease with naming them; indeed, it is my personal contention that we should feel obligated to.

This happens when we do not care: when we have no respect for life: I think of WWII, as one example.

I would not seek to judge or convey disapproval; since asked? I thought it respectful to the OP to answer honestly.

Be well,

~RA
I'm too lazy, and have too many birds to keep track of all their names, or even name all of them.

My kids can do what they want. LOL they name most of them... but I could careless if an animal has a name or not. Hence, my roosters being called "thing 1 and thing 2."

Why?

I think:

It's humane.

Give them dignity.

And too?

Be well,

~RA
highfive.gif

So do you have anything named?

Back
Top Bottom