Chicken has a tender wing.

V2vee

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2023
Hi all, my chicken has been acting very nervous for the last couple of days and is only using her right wing when she jumps up / down onto something and also when she stretches and flaps her wings.

I’ve felt both wings and stretches them out and nothing feels like it’s been broken or damaged. She does get wary of me handling the left side (wing she’s not using) and is not enjoying me picking her up at all at the moment (she’s normally loves to sit on your lap and fall asleep but tonight she squatted when I went out to pick her up as if she was afraid and then jumped off my lap as soon as she could and sprinted away. She’s never done any of that before!

She’s eating and drinking okay but suddenly seems scared of me and petrified of the cockerel and other hens. (She’s a newbie and always been wary but never petrified.)

Pics attached. The wing she is not using is the her left with the splayed feathers.

Any advice please? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6899.jpeg
    IMG_6899.jpeg
    813.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6898.jpeg
    IMG_6898.jpeg
    841.2 KB · Views: 5
I would keep an eye on her and spend some time with the flock watching everyone’s behavior. If the cockerel is being too aggressive or hurting her, I would remove him to a pen or dog crate with food and water for awhile. She might have injured it. Note if she is having any problems with her legs.

Thank you - will keep an eye and I might be back for more advice. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom