Chicken hasn't been laying eggs (That we know of)

Chickadoo2000

Hatching
Aug 9, 2018
So I have 4 chickens all 9 months of age; 3 of them have been laying fine, 1 even laying outside the coop under a bit of wood against the fence. But I started to notice we were only getting 3 eggs a day. I observed them and realized 1 of the chickens hadn't been laying. We have checked the whole garden but still nothing!

She's been acting normal: walking, eating, drinking, heck I've even checked her poop to see if it was runny, but nope! All totally normal. Since the backyard chicken forums have helped me before, I thought I could ask for a bit of help here again.

I've never owned chickens before and these chickens I raised from chicks. I could really use some guidance.

I don't think it's anything to worry about, she should start laying soon. I don't have chickens but I have 3 female ducks & I was only getting 2 eggs for the longest time then suddenly 1 morning I started getting 3 eggs a day!!!

I don't think it's anything to worry about, she should start laying soon. I don't have chickens but I have 3 female ducks & I was only getting 2 eggs for the longest time then suddenly 1 morning I started getting 3 eggs a day!!!

It's not that she hasn't started laying yet. The problem is that she's stopped laying. She was laying for a while, but now she's suddenly stopped

It's not that she hasn't started laying yet. The problem is that she's stopped laying. She was laying for a while, but now she's suddenly stopped
Sorry, I misread your post, My morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet!!! I know sometimes I will only get 2 eggs for a couple days, then it goes back to 3 eggs a day. :idunno Maybe she found a really good hiding spot to lay her eggs!!!

What breed(s) are they? Most chickens do not lay an egg every single day. With some breeds you are lucky to get 4 eggs a week. Are you sure it's one individual who isn't laying? You can look at the vent to ascertain, it will be moist and pink if she's laying.

1 even laying outside the coop under a bit of wood against the fence. But I started to notice we were only getting 3 eggs a day.
Is it a nest layer or the 'by the fence' layer that has stopped?
An exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

.... then confinement, might be in order:
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I just bought 4 grown hens last saturday,one gave me an egg first night but since then I've got nothing from any of them. How long does it take for them to get comfortable and feel home enough to start laying?

I just bought 4 grown hens last saturday,one gave me an egg first night but since then I've got nothing from any of them. How long does it take for them to get comfortable and feel home enough to start laying?
Could be a week, could be a month or more.

Back
Top Bottom