Chicken is frantically running around the coop and run - this isn't normal!

gracielou540

Hatching
Jul 7, 2023
Buttercup is a 7-week-old chick who went out to the coop/run with her four chick buddies last weekend. She's been acting normal for the last six days but yesterday I noticed that she was freaking out for no obvious reason. She's running around the run frantically and flapping her wings, running into the coop frame and other things. She was calm last night when I put her in the coop but, this morning, she hasn't left the coop and she's behaving erratically again. What would cause this kind of behavior?

A predator would be the likely cause of her panic. Start searching for things like a snake, or a weasel and fisher if those are possibilities in your area.

I don't see a predator. The run is completely enclosed with hardware cloth (top, bottom, and all sides) and the other chicks are completely calm. She's done this behavior in the run and now in the coop. I can get her to calm down when I hold her, this is the first time she's actually been calm in my arms.

I don't see a predator. The run is completely enclosed with hardware cloth (top, bottom, and all sides) and the other chicks are completely calm. She's done this behavior in the run and now in the coop. I can get her to calm down when I hold her, this is the first time she's actually been calm in my arms.
Do you have camera positioned around the coop and run? If so, look back on them to see if you caught sight of a predator lurking.

Are you certain of her age? Is she near point of lay? Mine do that right before laying.
Good idea, I have heard of pullets running around and screaming before they lay their first eggs.

My husband was in the run on what we thought was her first freak out. There was a cat nearby so that might be it. So odd that she was still freaking out a day later. Right now, she's calm so maybe she's figured out that the cat isn't around anymore!

Back
Top Bottom