Chicken killed a mouse!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wyliefarms, Sep 20, 2008.

1. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Ok, I would of never believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. My daughters BO caught and killed a mouse. She was playing/eating the mouse while the other hens were chasing her trying to get the mouse too.

It was quite comical.

Has anyone else seen there chickens catch and kill anything?

2. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Yup. Mine too are mouse killers!

3. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    My chickens are better mousers than any cat we had in the past. They kill them and don't try to bring them in the house to play catch and release over and over!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

A guy I work with has his kids hold the chicken while he moves the hay and when the mice start running they let the chickens go. chickEN RUN

5. Becaco

Becaco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    I wouldn't have believed it either, but I saw one of ours do the same.

Good mousers.

6. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Yea mine killed an iguana the other day. Dismembered the thang. It was disgusting. They chase off other birds and squirrels to.

7. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:haha! my chickens chase off squirls all the time, pepper a squirl that hangs out in the goat/chicken pen is a huge little squirl and my chickens chase him off! he tries teasing them but it doesnt work they are just to smart for him i guess?! oh and one more thing chickens are great at playing catch! i was throwing dead locasases "sorry dont know how to spell that!" to my chickens and they where catching them and didnt drop one once!

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Yup, chickens will kill (and eat) mice.

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

mine like them so much i almost trap some for them,,, the first time i saw it ,, it took me a minute to figure out what i just saw,, it happened in bout 2 seconds,,hehe [​IMG]

10. mango1612

mango1612 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I used to let our Jack Russell into the chicken pen and turn over feed bins for him to get the mice. If he missed one, or he wasn't around and a mouse ran out from under a bucket the chickens would grab them. It's something that's hard to get your mind around until you see them do it! They will kill anything small enough that they can!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by