Chicken laying a broken egg!i

Hybridchucks

Queen Of The Coop
7 Years
Jul 13, 2016
Burdsville
My Coop
My Coop
Every morning my red hybrid hen named Ginger, lays an egg that is cracked. Ive seen her lay it, first comes the egg white then comes the cracked shell with the yolk inside it! Wait for it....wait for it! Then she turns around and starts EATING IT!!!! She has taught the other hens to do it too. Please don't mention culling, that is not a possibility.....my hens are more pets than for eggs.....any replies are appreciated! xx thanks in advance!

Some of mine are doing a similar thing . . . they lay their egg then turn around and peck on the shell until it breaks! Heaven forbid there's another egg in the box, they'll break and eat it too! Mine have been doing this for a few weeks now, and unless we happen to be checking for eggs at the right time, about 50% get broken and eaten. Ours are pets also, so culling is also not an option--just want to find the answer.

I don't know why she might be laying cracked eggs... Maybe more calcium? However, there is a tried-and-true method to stop getting them to eat them. Take an egg and poke a hole in it to drain, then fill it with something your chickens don't like (I used small rocks). When they peck at it they should stop because their behaviors often relate to example. I hope that helps!

I'd add some oyster shell. They may be so calcium deficient that the shells are very thin and break when in the process of being laid. It may be normal for a bird to clean up a broken egg to keep the nest clean, maybe others will be able to confirm or correct that theory.

For chickens breaking and eating eggs, I put mustard in the broken shell. They don't like the taste and my flock has learned to not break their eggs.

THANKS ALL!!! my hens are not cooped up.......they have a whole area to range....do they still need grit.....coz they will pick up tiny stones and eat em??

Back
Top Bottom