chicken limping but eating and drinking fine

babychickens321

Songster
Oct 17, 2021
London England
hello everyone
my chicken was limping today a lot, and i only saw her do it this morning. i checked the bottom of her feet and they were super muddy so i wiped the mud off and there was nothing wrong apart from really long toenails. She had a sort of pinkish circle under one of her foot pads, but thats not even the foot shes holding up (im 90% sure its not) the rest of the flock are not bullying her or doing anything to her and she seems quite active with them, except for her limping foot. she sort of hop runs as well and flaps her wing whilst running but looks really wonky when she does.
Shes with the rest of the flock right now but i think shes gone into the coop.

I'm no expert, but it's possible she has bumblefoot. As I learned yesterday, not all bumblefoot includes the telltale black scab.

My hen, Eleanor, is being treated for bumblefoot and frostbite on her very swollen feet. Best wishes for your girl.

Screenshot 2022-12-31 at 14.29.25.png

Screenshot 2022-12-31 at 14.29.54.png
Screenshot 2022-12-31 at 14.29.39.png

Screenshot 2022-12-31 at 14.30.31.png
Screenshot 2022-12-31 at 14.30.06.png

checked the bottom of her feet and they were super muddy so i wiped the mud off and there was nothing wrong apart from really long toenails.

she seems quite active with them, except for her limping foot. she sort of hop runs as well and flaps her wing whilst running but looks really wonky when she does.

i cant tell if she has scaly leg mites, but her scales do look lifted up a bit.
Can you get photos of the front of her feet/legs so we can see the scales? From what I can see, nothing screams SLM.
I don't really see anything that makes me think she's got bumblefoot. Her feet look slightly puffy.
You can try giving her a daily soak in epsom salts to see if that makes any difference.
Dry her well before she goes back out, especially in cold weather.
Slowing trimming/filing and reshaping her nails back to a suitable length may also be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom