Chicken myths and old wives' tales, please!

Seems there was some stupid newspaper article a couple years ago, maybe it was in our local paper or Yahoo, I can't remember, but it was a story about some guy down in Mexico who had some rare breed of chickens, found nowhere else in the world, that laid green eggs! Oh man, I think that journalist got 'punked'!

Quote:
He replied on post #54.
wink.png

Here's another green egg joke...
tongue.png

I have a bunch of Guineas and chickens free ranging around the house and farm. One of my faithful egg customers finally got up the gumption to ask me what color guinea eggs are. I paused, a little confused as to why he wanted to know, and then proceeded to describe a guinea egg's appearance in detail, and even showed him a couple. Then he asked "Then where are the green eggs from?" Suddenly realizing why he was asking, and trying to keep a straight face, I told him that I have a few Ameraucana mixes, a rare South American breed of chicken that lay blue and green eggs, and that they're no different from the brown eggs. Poor guy thought I was selling him some exotic eggs!
lau.gif
gig.gif

He???? Hey! I'm a wo-man, Cowgirl!!!
bun.gif

lol.png

Now I'm wondering....how many other folks out there think I'm a guy?
pop.gif

Hey Bekissed,

Don't you know that these forums allow you to be whoever you want to be????

But hey, WOMAN is what Bekissed wants, so WOMAN it is.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Boy, there is something I could say, here, but I won't, in deference to the family orientation of BYC.

But I am most certainly biting the inside of my cheek with the effort!

Then you can imagine the difficulty I had explaining with a straight face and NOT thumpin her noggin at the same time!
gig.gif

I had a lady throw a whole dozen eggs away I sold her, because I had left a feather stuck to one of the eggs and she thought a baby chick was trying to come out!

Quote:
which is where he got the title for the magnifacent book he wrote. Along with 'All things wise and wonderful', 'All things bright and beautiful' , and 'The Lord God made them all'......

I think the confusion over needing a rooster before they'll lay eggs comes from what we learn of all other birds. For instance, cage birds and wild birds aren't thought of as laying eggs unless they breed first. It's not necessary for them to have a male to lay eggs either, but it's relatively rare that any non-fowl bird will do that.

What astonished me was that I had to explain it to my doctor.
ep.gif
Of course, she is a human's doctor and not a vet so no more likely to know than anyone else. I told her well, we have eggs come down no matter what - we just don't lay ours.

Quote:
erm... gotta ask... why were you taking a rooster to church?

Lady at church needed a roo and I had a spare.
hu.gif
big_smile.png

There were a few old biddies shaking their heads and muttering about bringing a chicken in the church....I said, "He is one of God's creatures!"
lol.png

That's cute! We take our dog to the St. Francis Day celebration at our church for the Blessing of the Animals. (It's outside, of course.) This year my son also took his favorite chicken. I did not have my camera, but it was so cute!!! We were the only ones with a pet chickens there.

Back
Top Bottom