Haphazard_Hannah

Songster
Oct 2, 2020
Bristol, UK
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone,

I’ve just joined your community and wanted to introduce myself if that’s okay?

I’m so new to chickens that I don’t actually have them yet... we’re rescuing 6-8 ex-battery hens here in the UK in the next month or so but first I need to get everything ready for them.

I’m converting a shed for them and will be building a walk in run over half of my garden so they will have plenty of space and be safe from predators - we have two puppers that would happily lick them to death and a number of confident suburban foxes in the area.

My husband is super excited at the prospect of ‘free’ eggs (because I’ll be the one working for them, no doubt) but I’m most excited about having them pottering about and chatting away to each other! It sounds silly but I feel it’ll be like having a separate little community outside that, if I’m lucky, I’ll be invited into. I know, I’m nuts. This is not news.

I’ve always had animals in my life however, despite desperately wanting them, I’ve not been able to have chickens until now. At the moment we have two labradors, a tortoise, two bearded dragons, an axolotl, some goldfish and a colony of Vampire crabs...

I had been hating my day-job for ages when my husband finally said ‘you need to get a job with animals so you can deal with them all day and not need to get anymore at home!’ so I’m currently training as a Veterinary Nurse... no idea why we didn’t think of that sooner, but the career change is fully under way.

Anyway, that’s me! Thanks for having me :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Oh how kind of you to rescue ex-battery hens giving them a second chance at life! Good luck with them and if you have any questions about them along the way, be sure to ask. Welcome aboard!

Thanks TwoCrows - we want to provide a happy and comfortable retirement home for the hardworking gals ☺️

Back
Top Bottom