Chicken not Able to Walk

bluechick3

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2020
Hey y'all, this morning when I went out to feed my chickens some scratch, I noticed one of my hens was laying on the ground - which is rather unusual. When I threw some scratch out for them, she didn't run out after the scratch as she normally does, instead she sort of fluttered her wings to try and move in the direction of the scratch. Surprisingly, after a few minutes passed, she stood up straight and walked around normally, but would soon after go back to laying down and getting around by fluttering her wings. I inspected the bottoms of her feet and didn't see anything out of the ordinary, so I know it's not bumblefoot. Any insight as to what could be the potential problem would be greatly appreciated.

Lots of possibles here...
I would start by checking her over carefully for injuries, swelling, bumps, etc. Feel her legs and her abdomen well.

Is she the only one having anything unusual?
How old is she? What do you feed?
Have you checked your feed to make sure it hasn’t gotten wet or damaged? Contaminated or moldy? Date on it?

Vitamin deficiencies can cause issues like you’re describing. You might try giving her some poultry cell.

Is she a layer? Has she laid recently? Is her comb color normal?

Lots of possibles here...
I would start by checking her over carefully for injuries, swelling, bumps, etc. Feel her legs and her abdomen well.

Is she the only one having anything unusual?
How old is she? What do you feed?
Have you checked your feed to make sure it hasn’t gotten wet or damaged? Contaminated or moldy? Date on it?

Vitamin deficiencies can cause issues like you’re describing. You might try giving her some poultry cell.

Is she a layer? Has she laid recently? Is her comb color normal?
Yes, she's the only one acting that way. I didn't actually see her "flutter"around today, but she did body slam onto the ground when she flew down from the roost. She is 6 months old and is laying normally. Yup comb color is normal. I feed the Purina layena layer feed, also feed scratch and give them oyster shells. I store my feed in metal bins, and I actually did see some moldy feed at the very bottom of the bin yesterday. I made sure to throw it all out though. The feed was no older than a month old so it should have been "fresh". I'm thinking maybe moisture made it's way into the bottom of the bin with all the rain we've been getting? Could moldy feed cause the issues the hen is dealing with? The mold I saw was attached to the very bottom of the bin and was very obviously "bad". If the chickens got some in the feed I fed them it wouldn't have been visually "bad".

Back
Top Bottom