Chicken Photos Thread

Pics
Feel ya here too. I am diagnosed PTSD and cant remember stuff. But aI am encouraged you are tsk8ng those excellent shots on a phone camera!

I have PTSD, too. I had it before the TBI & then to a lesser extent after the car accident that caused the TBI. I've lost a lot from the brain injury, but I think losing the majority of symptoms from my PTSD were the only things I was grateful to lose. Not remembering things comes in handy sometimes. :)

Thank you very much. I like to use my iPhone because it's easy to take a billion photos with it & it's just easier for me to carry around. I'm so lazy, so easy is the top feature of anything for me. :D

Well, my Phoenix Bantam (Ronan) has taken to either roosting on my shoulder to put his head in my neck or roosting on my chest to put his head under my chin. I'm not sure where this is coming from all of the sudden since he's seemed to hit the teenage boy stage of roosterhood already at 2mos & 20 days. He's repeatedly tried to mate with a number of my adult hens, the two pullets that hatched when he did & he actually got in a scuffle this evening with my current head rooster (no injuries, it was the most halfhearted fight between two male chickens I've seen so far). So far, all the little princes get along for the most part & im hoping that continues as they get older.

Nope we still haven't seen her.  She hasn't been in town since we got home. Her dogs are there running loose...probably not being fed either.  We found out from another neighbor that her and her son were reported to fish and game for her sons dog killing fawns this spring.  Last night the predators came back and got my last Roo.  We had fixed the gate where they got in so this time they climbed up the back of the coop, got on the roof, chewed through the netting that was over the top of the one run and then through the plastic chicken fence that separates the two runs to get at him since they couldn't get through the wire fence that is around the outside.  Luckily the babies have a house that has a small enough entry hole it couldn't get in.  They have been moved back into their temporary kennel that is made out of rabbit wire and plywood.  The war is on now, every raccoon in a five mile radius is going to die!!!!  My husband is borrowing some traps from a friend and we will be running an electric fence on the outside of the coop as well if we can. 

Does anyone have any other recommendations of what we could do to deter them?  Obviously we are going to be doing some major reconstruction on the runs this weekend.  Their coop does allow them to get out into the run at night, should I revamp that and lock them in completely at night.  The coop is fairly small 4' x 8' x 4' high and I felt bad  locking them in there at night but I'm thinking I may have to.  Thanks to everyone for the advice and insight they could provide! 

Mine are locked up in coop. We can see coop and lights from three windows. I have asked if chicks would scream or freeze if a predator was breaking in, but I don't know. If they are vocal, I want a baby minder as well.
Lisa

Mine are locked up in coop. We can see coop and lights from three windows. I have asked if chicks would scream or freeze if a predator was breaking in, but I don't know. If they are vocal, I want a baby minder as well.
Lisa
BABY MONITOR---That's a great idea. We've been thinking a security system with an alert, but I think a baby monitor might just do it. Well off to amazon to shop!! Thanks for the idea!!

We have travel back to see our family the end of august and I actually think that if we can't find a reliable person, we will be taking the chickens! LOL Ahh the joys of loving your chickens!
love.gif

Really devastated this week. My best hen, Penelope, had to be euthanised yesterday morning. We almost had to euthanise her flock sister, Athena, for the same reason yesterday evening but I'm hoping she'll make it through (they both had prolapsed vent that was really bad). I'm pretty ruined by this because I feel like I should have caught this before it got as bad as it did for Penelope because my TBI symptoms have been almost as bad as they were right after my car accident. I've just been in such bad shape (terrible memory issues and extreme exhaustion) and I'm doubting my ability to take care of the rest of my flock after this.

She had the best personality, was Odysseus's constant companion, and the hen that would break up fights between the boys and the one who welcomed the new birds without issue. I miss her a lot.

I finally joined/assimilated to the technology that is in everybody's pocket. I got a smart phone. So now don't have to wait for wifey to get home so as to take pictures of our feathered freeloaders. Well, they DO give us eggs so I suppose they carry their weight around here.
wink.png

We had taco night last night for supper and everything what was left after we nashed our teeth was put in my cereal bowl ( not "the chicken bowl" like my family calls it) and taken to the girls for a end of the day treat. As you can see...Jeanie took mouth fulls

Scarlet still pays more attention to the camera sted of the food everyone attacks.

Lucy, photo bombing...again. Chickens got the prettiest eyes

They look so much alike I can't hardly tell Boo from Poppin anymore!

I THINK this is Boo...

" We love taco night! "

I'm guessing this is Poppin....???

Doncha just love those tails? Not to mention the crazy hair dos! See what I mean about how they look so much alike now? It's not a big deal really, I call them all "Hey chicken"

Really devastated this week. My best hen, Penelope, had to be euthanised yesterday morning. We almost had to euthanise her flock sister, Athena, for the same reason yesterday evening but I'm hoping she'll make it through (they both had prolapsed vent that was really bad). I'm pretty ruined by this because I feel like I should have caught this before it got as bad as it did for Penelope because my TBI symptoms have been almost as bad as they were right after my car accident. I've just been in such bad shape (terrible memory issues and extreme exhaustion) and I'm doubting my ability to take care of the rest of my flock after this. She had the best personality, was Odysseus's constant companion, and the hen that would break up fights between the boys and the one who welcomed the new birds without issue. I miss her a lot.
:hugs
Got a couple portraits for ya. It's hard to get a good shot of this silkie when the sun is out, since she's so darn bright.
Very nice! What camera do you use?

Really devastated this week. My best hen, Penelope, had to be euthanised yesterday morning. We almost had to euthanise her flock sister, Athena, for the same reason yesterday evening but I'm hoping she'll make it through (they both had prolapsed vent that was really bad). I'm pretty ruined by this because I feel like I should have caught this before it got as bad as it did for Penelope because my TBI symptoms have been almost as bad as they were right after my car accident. I've just been in such bad shape (terrible memory issues and extreme exhaustion) and I'm doubting my ability to take care of the rest of my flock after this. She had the best personality, was Odysseus's constant companion, and the hen that would break up fights between the boys and the one who welcomed the new birds without issue. I miss her a lot.
So very sorry to hear about your loss. I send you lots of hugs. Im going to say to u what I would say to my friend who has a TBI and suffers from bouts just like yours. We all have things happen that causes us to miss things, do not let guilt ruin the enjoyment and fulfillment you get from your flock. I help my friend with her horse when she gets like that so that she doesn't have to worry about him. I hope you have someone that can help during the bad times.

Really devastated this week. My best hen, Penelope, had to be euthanised yesterday morning. We almost had to euthanise her flock sister, Athena, for the same reason yesterday evening but I'm hoping she'll make it through (they both had prolapsed vent that was really bad). I'm pretty ruined by this because I feel like I should have caught this before it got as bad as it did for Penelope because my TBI symptoms have been almost as bad as they were right after my car accident. I've just been in such bad shape (terrible memory issues and extreme exhaustion) and I'm doubting my ability to take care of the rest of my flock after this.

She had the best personality, was Odysseus's constant companion, and the hen that would break up fights between the boys and the one who welcomed the new birds without issue. I miss her a lot.
I am so sorry for your loss. It sucks to loose those we care about so much! Don't let guilt ruin your enjoyment of your flock, sometimes things happen and it isn't your fault. You can tell by your pics that your babies have a great life! Keep trying and I hope everything gets better for you.

Back
Top Bottom