Chicken Production to Full Stop

ChickChickee

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
It's been three months at LEAST and my little chickens (both just breach a year) and no one is laying. They have the same coop they've always laid in....the same layer feed, snacks and treats. But no one wants to lay. WHAT is the problem? I have a couple of freeloading do nothings that aren't even cute anymore because they're excessively greedy and troublesome. My little Buff Brahama seems to be more dominant now (she steals food from the Marans) and seems to ALWAYS be starving.

The only thing that changed was the Buff got sick, and Marans used to kick her butt. She's better, they're friends again, and NO one is laying. NO ONE. What's going on? :((((

First year with chicken, eh? They don't tell you that chickens are not egg machines when they tell you how nice it is to have fresh eggs "everyday".

It is OK. It is a fixable problem.

If they are molting, which would be visually evident, just got to wait.

If daylight problem, assuming that you have not done so, install light in the coop. I recommend pre-dawn lighting. CFL works fine.

If still no go, they could be sick. Look for signs in their appearance, behavior, dropping.

might have hidden a nest on you, but I would think it is the daylength, mine have all quit, and my hubby teases me about buying chicken feed AND eggs! Short days, pullets will lay, if they start before the day gets short. My pullets this year didn't start before the short days,I don't add light, and I don't expect eggs till the end of January.

You don't say what part of the country you are in, but if it is colder, they will need more feed.

MRs K

If you are adding lighting, keep in mind that it takes a little time. In my case, 4 to 8 days.

Also, it seems that it might be possible to control the production rate with the length of lighting. My flock get a total of about 12 hrs. They are laying now but less than peak, yet enough for my household need. Some swear that you need 16 hours. I figure that my birds get 4 hours of extra sleep, good compromise.

Back
Top Bottom