Integrating young chick (maybe 5 weeks) to existing flock of 8 week old pullets/cockerel

intheredhomestead

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2023
Hi everyone!

I just recently acquired a "refugee" chicken from my neighbor, who originally had 3 chicks (believed to be about 5-6 weeks?) but 2 of them died so she only had one left. She gave it to me as I have a flock of 6 currently (current flock has buffs (cockerel is top of pecking order/pullet), sussex (cockerel/pullet), and cochins (pullet/pullet)). It's been really nice outside so I've been letting my flock free-range in the yard, and set up a gated run for my lone chick (she's a buff silkie). They didn't seem very interested in her as I was supervising, and only showed curiosity of her maybe once so I let her roam with them. That's when it got interesting - only the 2 buffs seemed to show their status. The Cockerel went for her and got some feathers, and the pullet just chased her around a bit. That's really all that's happened as they've free roamed. This has been 2 days worth of free ranging together.

SO - today, day 3, as I'm outside with them they again showed very little interest, so I put the newbie in the run with them. The buffs again got a little fiesty, but that's really it. Now they're in separate areas of the run but all in together. I do feel a bit like the newbie is just traumatized now as it seems like it wants out, but it also WAILS when it's all by itself so I feel bad that it's alone and want it to be with a flock. My question is - are they good? Will they be okay and work things out? Or should I take a step back and keep it separated still? My one concern right now is the newbie doesn't want to meet in the middle of the run where the food and water is, so I worry it won't get what it needs, and also having it get hurt by moving too quickly with this.

Thanks, ya'll!

That's a hard one. You never know what will happen with living animals. Sometimes, even with more age difference, you just put them together and it works out well. Sometimes, even with no age difference, it gets really dramatic or even dangerous.

So far it doesn't sound bad. When I have different maturity levels the younger are often afraid of the older. Sounds like yours might be. If they invade the personal space of the older they are likely to get pecked. It usually does not take them long to learn to avoid the older ones. This doesn't always happen, sometimes they can merge with no problems. Having a lone chick sometimes creates another problem. They are flock animals and really want to be with other chickens. But when they get close personal space has been invaded and they might get pecked. It works that way too if the older one is the single chicken, it want to be close but it might peck when they get close. I know, not logical but welcome to chicken society.

Where does the single chick sleep now? That could be a problem time.

What I suggest is to have at least two feeding and watering spots well spread out, hopefully out of line of sight so the single chick can eat and drink without being bullied. The more room you can give them the better. The quality of what room you have in the run can be improved by adding clutter. That means something the chick can hide under, behind, or get up high so they can't reach it. Try to not force them to share a small space but give it room to avoid them.

My goal at this stage of integration is that no one gets hurt. It is as simple as that, no one gets hurt. Do not feel like they have to be one happy flock snuggling up to each other, that will come with time. Let them work at their pace as much as you can. At some point they will become one flock. It may be pretty soon, it may be months, but as long as no one gets hurt it will happen.

That's a hard one. You never know what will happen with living animals. Sometimes, even with more age difference, you just put them together and it works out well. Sometimes, even with no age difference, it gets really dramatic or even dangerous.

So far it doesn't sound bad. When I have different maturity levels the younger are often afraid of the older. Sounds like yours might be. If they invade the personal space of the older they are likely to get pecked. It usually does not take them long to learn to avoid the older ones. This doesn't always happen, sometimes they can merge with no problems. Having a lone chick sometimes creates another problem. They are flock animals and really want to be with other chickens. But when they get close personal space has been invaded and they might get pecked. It works that way too if the older one is the single chicken, it want to be close but it might peck when they get close. I know, not logical but welcome to chicken society.

Where does the single chick sleep now? That could be a problem time.

What I suggest is to have at least two feeding and watering spots well spread out, hopefully out of line of sight so the single chick can eat and drink without being bullied. The more room you can give them the better. The quality of what room you have in the run can be improved by adding clutter. That means something the chick can hide under, behind, or get up high so they can't reach it. Try to not force them to share a small space but give it room to avoid them.

My goal at this stage of integration is that no one gets hurt. It is as simple as that, no one gets hurt. Do not feel like they have to be one happy flock snuggling up to each other, that will come with time. Let them work at their pace as much as you can. At some point they will become one flock. It may be pretty soon, it may be months, but as long as no one gets hurt it will happen.
This is great information, thank you so much! For the past couple of days, I've had the chick in my bathroom in a large brooder-like box to sleep. I've brought it inside at the end of the day when the other group goes into their coop for the night.

The run space is a decent size, about a 10'x3' total - not including the space under the coop. They are definitely avoiding eachother right now, and the buff cockerel is being a little turd about it - he's the one giving the newcomer the most grief. I may remove the little one at night so it doesn't feel like it's out in the open all night if it isn't comfortable joining the others in the coop. I'll try to add some other clutter pieces to give it some privacy away from the group. Thank you!

This is great information, thank you so much! For the past couple of days, I've had the chick in my bathroom in a large brooder-like box to sleep. I've brought it inside at the end of the day when the other group goes into their coop for the night.

The run space is a decent size, about a 10'x3' total - not including the space under the coop. They are definitely avoiding eachother right now, and the buff cockerel is being a little turd about it - he's the one giving the newcomer the most grief. I may remove the little one at night so it doesn't feel like it's out in the open all night if it isn't comfortable joining the others in the coop. I'll try to add some other clutter pieces to give it some privacy away from the group. Thank you!
The recommended space per bird in the run is 10sqft, 30sqft isn't a very big space for 6 birds, plus 1 that is trying to get away. I'm glad they are getting free range time. Definitely add clutter

The recommended space per bird in the run is 10sqft, 30sqft isn't a very big space for 6 birds, plus 1 that is trying to get away. I'm glad they are getting free range time. Definitely add clutter
Yeah, I'm currently building a bigger coop that is about 12'x5' and they get free range time all day every day in the yard that is about 3000 square feet. I have some branches in the run itself, but I can add more!

Yeah, I'm currently building a bigger coop that is about 12'x5' and they get free range time all day every day in the yard that is about 3000 square feet. I have some branches in the run itself, but I can add more!
Go wider if you can. Narrow width runs still don't give chickens as much as they need to get around each other, and 60 sq ft is still bare minimum for 6 birds that do already get along. It also gives you no wiggle room for any additions or clutter.

Back
Top Bottom