Chicken run advice please!

ElfenLied89

Crowing
May 30, 2023
South Carolina
I have 7 pullets that are about 4 weeks old. They are already being booty heads and jumping onto the ledge of the box they are in (the bigger 2 are).

I have a chicken run I am almost done installing, and was wondering what to do to make it nice and warm for the babies?

My outside power source does not work currently. Are there any good solar panel heaters or things like that?

I am in South Carolina where the days are 75ish and night are 55ish. Any advice and/or guidance is a plus.

Here’s some items I use in my coop for my Silkies up here in Maine! Others will argue that it is not necessary, but it gives me peace of mind when frigid northeastern temps start to drop. We run power via 100ft outdoor rated extension cord out to our coop. Seemed like a hassle initially, but ended up being a life saver, literally. Some other adequate and energy-efficient alternatives (without warming the entire coop) would be a thermostat controlled heating pad, a microwave heating pad, hot water bags, or just utilizing the deep litter method! Just be vigilant for any mite activity as they love that kind of environment.

Heating Panel
Heated Roosting Bar
Microwaveable Heating Pad

Last edited:
Four weeks old should be okay at 55F since there's 7 of them to cuddle together and depending on the breed, they are fully feathered or close. If you're worried and can't get a heavy-duty outdoor extension cord to reach to them, make them a nest with an old blanket or towel and cover it with straw. The blanket/towel will hold some of their heat in.

In a pinch if it's getting colder than that, put a hand warmer in an old sock and lay that in their nest. Those last 12 or 18 hours. That would get expensive to put one in there every night all winter so I'm just suggesting it as a temporary solution. ☺️

These are the babies in question <3 Only one that is still fluffy is the dark brahma. She isn't feathered much at all as you can see. She is the brown one on the left of the feeder. On her right is her light brahma sister. Above her is Cleo I believe. Short for Cleopatra bc she has eyeliner on lol.

Attachments

• 20231023_191156.jpg
    20231023_191156.jpg
    618.3 KB · Views: 6
These are the babies in question <3 Only one that is still fluffy is the dark brahma. She isn't feathered much at all as you can see. She is the brown one on the left of the feeder. On her right is her light brahma sister. Above her is Cleo I believe. Short for Cleopatra bc she has eyeliner on lol.
If you're putting them in a pen and don't have an enclosed bed for them yet, you could just tip that bin on its side and cover 3/4 of the opening with cardboard and duct tape or just use a cardboard box on its side with an opening. That way they're out of the drafts and it'll help keep their heat in. We used a cardboard box until we found a wooden dog house that hubby remodeled to be their "mini coop."

Four weeks old should be okay at 55F since there's 7 of them to cuddle together and depending on the breed, they are fully feathered or close. If you're worried and can't get a heavy-duty outdoor extension cord to reach to them, make them a nest with an old blanket or towel and cover it with straw. The blanket/towel will hold some of their heat in.

In a pinch if it's getting colder than that, put a hand warmer in an old sock and lay that in their nest. Those last 12 or 18 hours. That would get expensive to put one in there every night all winter so I'm just suggesting it as a temporary solution. ☺️
I was hoping to get a heating pad but of course my outside power socket quit on us. We are getting it figured out but that includes waiting on our landlord to come check it and it could be weeks as it isn't an emergency. Might have to use an extension cord later if they don't fix it. I keep a solar power heat source, (besides the sun lmao).

If you're putting them in a pen and don't have an enclosed bed for them yet, you could just tip that bin on its side and cover 3/4 of the opening with cardboard and duct tape or just use a cardboard box on its side with an opening. That way they're out of the drafts and it'll help keep their heat in. We used a cardboard box until we found a wooden dog house that hubby remodeled to be their "mini coop."
Never thought of that. Hubs says he can build a little box for them outside to nest in, with one sheet of plywood. He knows about all that. I can go take a picture of the run tomorrow if I remember. That way y'all can visually see what it looks like and give me any pointers for it.

I assume that's the brooder in the photo? I agree it's way too small at this point. To prevent escapes you should have it covered with wire mesh at all times, as even a 1-2 week old could easily escape a bin.

Just the run is done? What about the coop or roosting area, if this is open air? If coop isn't complete does the setup provide some protection from drafts and predators? Otherwise you'd be better off bringing them in at night until those two things are covered.

Have you been actively weaning the chicks off heat? 4 week old chicks can certainly be 100% off heat at those temperatures but they need to be acclimated to it. That means gradual exposure to outside temperatures as well as a reduction in heat provided in the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom