Chicken Run - Buy or Build?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by olayak, Oct 8, 2018.

1. olayak

olayak Songster

Jul 26, 2012
    New York
    Hi,
    We bought a great chicken coop for our babies but now need a chicken run. I thought I found one that I could simply modify, but it was sold out :(
    We live in the country, plenty of mice, weasels, foxes, feral cats, coyotes and even a bear or two (although it has not been seen near where I am placing my coop). So, whatever we have has to be 10000000% predator proof. I am not losing anyone to a predator! And we live in the Northeast, so lots of snow and very cold in the winter (below zero) and hot in the summer (90s).
    Very basic building skills, so I'm a bit intimidated about building my own. I would prefer to buy a run kit, but I can't seem to find a large stand-alone run for purchase. We have 4 Cornish X that are adopted pets and are currently 4 weeks old. We may be getting a 5th soon. I've been going nuts trying to find something online, but can't seem to find anything to suit my needs. I would appreciate any advice and/or help! The babies will need to move outside soon!
    Thanks

2. hillbilly91

hillbilly91 Crowing

Jan 2, 2016
    Westminster sc
    A 10x10x6 with a canopy for shad. Throw some poultry netting over the kennel and your good to go. Easy to move and durable.

3. MissChick@dee

MissChick@dee Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    I personally would build. I would love to start from scratch. Get it fortified the way I want.
    Maybe someday....:fl

4. olayak

olayak Songster

Jul 26, 2012
    New York
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Rick M and Pork Pie like this.
  5. olayak

olayak Songster

Jul 26, 2012
    New York
    I would love to build! That would be awesome!! I'm just not that skilled and my husband is super busy right now and the babies can't wait until he has some free time!

Fluffy&Cutie, Rick M and hillbilly91 like this.
  6. MissChick@dee

MissChick@dee Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Rick M likes this.
  7. olayak

olayak Songster

Jul 26, 2012
    New York
    Currently 4 Cornish X, but may be getting a 5th soon. They are all 4 weeks old. I would love to build a run, but I'm really nervous, I don't really have build experience.

Killer Tomato and Rick M like this.
  8. You could get a large dog kennel and wrap hardwire cloth around it and on the top. Then run an electric fence to add another layer of protection.

ETA: I mean like a large kennel, not a dog crate. As hillbilly said, 10x10 would be good for that number for birds. Bigger is always better.

9. MissChick@dee

MissChick@dee Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Wow do you think that’s a little tight?? I have a 10x20 dog run (200sq ft) for 4 hens. I’m thinking that’s too small. Dunno

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Rick M and olayak like this.
  10. L1sa

L1sa Songster

Jan 25, 2017
    South Australia
    I would definitely build. It's actually quite fun building, and anything you don't know about building you can learn along the way, or ask on here!

My husband and I had an agreement, he has no interest in chickens so if I wanted them, I had to build the entire coop/run. So I did! And I have a huge sense of achievement about it too. And haven't lost one to a predator! It's been 3 years now.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: