Chicken Run - Buy or Build?

Pics

olayak

Songster
7 Years
Jul 26, 2012
New York
Hi,
We bought a great chicken coop for our babies but now need a chicken run. I thought I found one that I could simply modify, but it was sold out :(
We live in the country, plenty of mice, weasels, foxes, feral cats, coyotes and even a bear or two (although it has not been seen near where I am placing my coop). So, whatever we have has to be 10000000% predator proof. I am not losing anyone to a predator! And we live in the Northeast, so lots of snow and very cold in the winter (below zero) and hot in the summer (90s).
Very basic building skills, so I'm a bit intimidated about building my own. I would prefer to buy a run kit, but I can't seem to find a large stand-alone run for purchase. We have 4 Cornish X that are adopted pets and are currently 4 weeks old. We may be getting a 5th soon. I've been going nuts trying to find something online, but can't seem to find anything to suit my needs. I would appreciate any advice and/or help! The babies will need to move outside soon!
Thanks

I would definitely build. It's actually quite fun building, and anything you don't know about building you can learn along the way, or ask on here!

My husband and I had an agreement, he has no interest in chickens so if I wanted them, I had to build the entire coop/run. So I did! And I have a huge sense of achievement about it too. And haven't lost one to a predator! It's been 3 years now.

Good luck.

For their entire lifespan, until they pass of natural causes. These are pets.

I vote for Build, then. You need to make many modifications to attempt to get your Cornish crosses to live longer than 4-6 months. You’ll want low ramps and low roosts, and as many ways to try and keep them moving to food and water to keep their weight off so they can survive longer.

Hi,
We bought a great chicken coop for our babies but now need a chicken run. I thought I found one that I could simply modify, but it was sold out :(
We live in the country, plenty of mice, weasels, foxes, feral cats, coyotes and even a bear or two (although it has not been seen near where I am placing my coop). So, whatever we have has to be 10000000% predator proof. I am not losing anyone to a predator! And we live in the Northeast, so lots of snow and very cold in the winter (below zero) and hot in the summer (90s).
Very basic building skills, so I'm a bit intimidated about building my own. I would prefer to buy a run kit, but I can't seem to find a large stand-alone run for purchase. We have 4 Cornish X that are adopted pets and are currently 4 weeks old. We may be getting a 5th soon. I've been going nuts trying to find something online, but can't seem to find anything to suit my needs. I would appreciate any advice and/or help! The babies will need to move outside soon!
Thanks
A 10x10x6 with a canopy for shad. Throw some poultry netting over the kennel and your good to go. Easy to move and durable.

That's awesome!! And thanks for the advice and support! Do you have pictures of your run? You've given me hope
What did you do that you think was especially helpful in making it predator proof?
Thanks!

I found the perfect spot for my little run, at the side of my pool shed and all the way round the back.
I used small chicken wire 1"X1" squares all the way round and over the top, I also made sure it was buried about a foot into the ground too, so things couldn't dig under either. I guess it helped having the fence and shed in the position they were in.

This is When I was still building the coop.
IMG_4131.PNG

This is in situ where I then built the run around the coop.

IMG_4132.PNG

Finally with the chickens added! (This was 3 years ago)
IMG_4133.PNG

This was yesterday, with the addition of 'The Broody House'
IMG_4130.JPG

You pretty much have to do what will work/fit in in your space. I also let my ladies free range in the garden, but for the times when they can't, they have enough space in their run.

The best advice I can give is, to take it one step at a time, don't rush it, look up ideas online, look up how to do things. Ask husband ocassionally!!

Good luck and you can definitely do it.

Make sure you put hardware cloth on the bottom to keep the hungry burrowing animals from digging into the coop. Don't worry about your building skills use enough nails and /screws and make it sturdy. I'm 67 and I built mine with out any help (except for a lot of bandaids and ibuprofen).

Attachments

• chicken coop.JPG
    chicken coop.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 36
  • coop side view.JPG
    coop side view.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 35
I say build! While it can be totally frustrating, it is so rewarding in the end. My husband and I built our coop and run together. Neither one of us had any experience or any idea what we were doing but it turned out great! It's been about 4 years now and it hasn't collapsed yet! Here's a link to our book about the whole building process if you're interested :)

http://onemountainacres.weebly.com/adventures-with-chickens/building-the-coop

Back
Top Bottom