Chicken Run - Buy or Build?

Pics
do others actually have problems with mice? My chickens
I have a lot of mice. They are in the garden shed where the feed is kept, they invade the feeders over night. Chickens catch them in the runs from time to time. Doing some nearby excavating (they tunnel underground here) resulted in 10 mice being thrown to the chickens. UGH.
There is a type of bucket trap -- where they walk the plank and fall into water.
One problem with too many mice here is that mice draw snakes.
Here's an example of one on Amazon -
https://www.amazon.com/Remove-Dropp...ocphy=9027186&hvtargid=pla-385189676822&psc=1
There are also DIY ways to make them from 5-gallon bucket if you do a google search.

I haven't seen any mice in or near my coop. I enclosed the run with 1/4 inch hardware cloth and that keeps even large bugs out. I do have a lot of chipmunks hanging out outside the coop & run lusting over the garden scraps and chicken feed. They don't stay too long as my hens lunge at them with such viciousness that is just a little disturbing. These are large, probably overfed Rhode Island Reds and they can be intimidating at times.
I’ve never seen mice. We have a large feral cat colony in our neighborhood ( and yard :barnie) and hawks who stalk our chickens so I don’t think mice would stand a chance around here!

Back
Top Bottom