Chicken Run - Buy or Build?

It wasn't just the size, was wondering if that kind of prefab metal run actually works or if the gaps are too big and will let predators in....

I would definitely build. It's actually quite fun building, and anything you don't know about building you can learn along the way, or ask on here!

My husband and I had an agreement, he has no interest in chickens so if I wanted them, I had to build the entire coop/run. So I did! And I have a huge sense of achievement about it too. And haven't lost one to a predator! It's been 3 years now.

Good luck.
That's awesome!! And thanks for the advice and support! Do you have pictures of your run? You've given me hope
What did you do that you think was especially helpful in making it predator proof?
Thanks!

I would definitely build. It's actually quite fun building, and anything you don't know about building you can learn along the way, or ask on here!

My husband and I had an agreement, he has no interest in chickens so if I wanted them, I had to build the entire coop/run. So I did! And I have a huge sense of achievement about it too. And haven't lost one to a predator! It's been 3 years now.

Good luck.
AWESOME!! :wee

I was planning to build the run, but time was not on my side (I work insane hours this time of year). So I paid WAAAAAY too much for a run - kind of at my husband's insistence. It's along story, but in a nutshell, he thought it would be safer for the chickens, and I jump on any suggestion he makes because they happen so seldom - LOL!

The gaps in the prefab are large (1 x 1), so I put hardware cloth all around it. It would have been MUCH cheaper to build, and I regret going prefab now. Plus, if I want to add on (and I do), it will be much more difficult and the setup limits what I can do. I have 4 pullets at the moment, and the run is just under 120 sq ft.

If I had to do prefab over, I'd go with 10' x 10' chain link dog run and reinforced with hardware cloth. But in a perfect world, 2x4s and hardware cloth all the way.

D87A859E-4E1D-48B5-A38A-857964F38613.jpeg
I was planning to build the run, but time was not on my side (I work insane hours this time of year). So I paid WAAAAAY too much for a run - kind of at my husband's insistence. It's along story, but in a nutshell, he thought it would be safer for the chickens, and I jump on any suggestion he makes because they happen so seldom - LOL!

The gaps in the prefab are large (1 x 1), so I put hardware cloth all around it. It would have been MUCH cheaper to build, and I regret going prefab now. Plus, if I want to add on (and I do), it will be much more difficult and the setup limits what I can do. I have 4 pullets at the moment, and the run is just under 120 sq ft.

If I had to do prefab over, I'd go with 10' x 10' chain link dog run and reinforced with hardware cloth. But in a perfect world, 2x4s and hardware cloth all the way.
That’s what I did. We don’t have weezles or mink or predators that can fit through the chain link. I buried the frame with hardware cloth. The top is wired except for the tin roof. The run itself is good for my needs. The coop how ever ...not so much. Just snapped this pic.

That's awesome!! And thanks for the advice and support! Do you have pictures of your run? You've given me hope
What did you do that you think was especially helpful in making it predator proof?
Thanks!

I found the perfect spot for my little run, at the side of my pool shed and all the way round the back.
I used small chicken wire 1"X1" squares all the way round and over the top, I also made sure it was buried about a foot into the ground too, so things couldn't dig under either. I guess it helped having the fence and shed in the position they were in.

This is When I was still building the coop.
IMG_4131.PNG

This is in situ where I then built the run around the coop.

IMG_4132.PNG

Finally with the chickens added! (This was 3 years ago)
IMG_4133.PNG

This was yesterday, with the addition of 'The Broody House'
IMG_4130.JPG

You pretty much have to do what will work/fit in in your space. I also let my ladies free range in the garden, but for the times when they can't, they have enough space in their run.

The best advice I can give is, to take it one step at a time, don't rush it, look up ideas online, look up how to do things. Ask husband ocassionally!!

Good luck and you can definitely do it.

Back
Top Bottom