Chicken Run - Buy or Build?

I was planning to build the run, but time was not on my side (I work insane hours this time of year). So I paid WAAAAAY too much for a run - kind of at my husband's insistence. It's along story, but in a nutshell, he thought it would be safer for the chickens, and I jump on any suggestion he makes because they happen so seldom - LOL!

The gaps in the prefab are large (1 x 1), so I put hardware cloth all around it. It would have been MUCH cheaper to build, and I regret going prefab now. Plus, if I want to add on (and I do), it will be much more difficult and the setup limits what I can do. I have 4 pullets at the moment, and the run is just under 120 sq ft.

If I had to do prefab over, I'd go with 10' x 10' chain link dog run and reinforced with hardware cloth. But in a perfect world, 2x4s and hardware cloth all the way.

D87A859E-4E1D-48B5-A38A-857964F38613.jpeg
I was planning to build the run, but time was not on my side (I work insane hours this time of year). So I paid WAAAAAY too much for a run - kind of at my husband's insistence. It's along story, but in a nutshell, he thought it would be safer for the chickens, and I jump on any suggestion he makes because they happen so seldom - LOL!

The gaps in the prefab are large (1 x 1), so I put hardware cloth all around it. It would have been MUCH cheaper to build, and I regret going prefab now. Plus, if I want to add on (and I do), it will be much more difficult and the setup limits what I can do. I have 4 pullets at the moment, and the run is just under 120 sq ft.

If I had to do prefab over, I'd go with 10' x 10' chain link dog run and reinforced with hardware cloth. But in a perfect world, 2x4s and hardware cloth all the way.
That’s what I did. We don’t have weezles or mink or predators that can fit through the chain link. I buried the frame with hardware cloth. The top is wired except for the tin roof. The run itself is good for my needs. The coop how ever ...not so much. Just snapped this pic.

If you want to start with a premade structure, a dog kennel or a carport can work as the bones, then modify to deal with the predators in your area. For rodents, minks, etc. - no openings larger than 1/2". A wire apron will help deter anything that digs. Bears pretty much require electric, as they are so strong. Heavy snow load means you either need to roof it (hence the carport idea) or have large enough openings overhead to let the snow fall through - although you didn't mention aerial predators they're a common concern in most areas.

In most cases it's not feasible to make it entirely bullet proof, so do your best to nail the biggest concerns first. For example, I have bears in my area, but don't have electric, as the bears here aren't inclined to go after livestock (they want the buckets of feed instead).

If you want to start with a premade structure, a dog kennel or a carport can work as the bones, then modify to deal with the predators in your area. For rodents, minks, etc. - no openings larger than 1/2". A wire apron will help deter anything that digs. Bears pretty much require electric, as they are so strong. Heavy snow load means you either need to roof it (hence the carport idea) or have large enough openings overhead to let the snow fall through - although you didn't mention aerial predators they're a common concern in most areas.

In most cases it's not feasible to make it entirely bullet proof, so do your best to nail the biggest concerns first. For example, I have bears in my area, but don't have electric, as the bears here aren't inclined to go after livestock (they want the buckets of feed instead).

Yes, there are tons of aerial predators here, I recently saw a hawk try and go after my pet pigeons in their aviary (he couldn't get in, they were very safe). I've also seen bald eagles around! There is one bear that I know of, maybe two, that lives across the street in the forest, he was seen on my driveway once about 4 years ago, but not since then. Mostly I think he goes for our garbage cans at the end of the driveway. It's about a 50 foot driveway and the chickens will be in a coop at the back of the house, near =our pet pigs - probably about 75 feet away and up a hill from the cans. We sometimes find our garbage bins turned over, but have never actually seen or heard of the bear being near the back of our house.
Thank you so much for the suggestions!! I hadn't thought of a carport before. Interesting idea! I also had not thought of snow load, but that makes a lot of sense. I will definitely want to put a real roof on it, in that condition. We get a lot of snow and I definitely don't want it collapsing.
My husband agreed to keep them in their coop with a temporary run in the courtyard next to our kitchen, which has a high fence and concrete floor, until spring. This at least buys me a little more time to build a perfect run!

Last edited:
Gee, now I wish I had a carport. I used a pre-existing shed (very sturdy) for the coop then built an 8 ft by 14 ft run. I used 1/4 inch, 19 gauge hardware cloth for bottom (covered with dirt) and all sides. I used galvanized metal roofing to cover at a slant so I can easily snow-broom the snow off. It is sturdy enough to fend off most critters except bears, however, my experience is that wild animals go for an easy meal, so I'm not too concerned. I have 6 RIR's and they have plenty of room. So your brood should be fine. You can always fence around hardware cloth with chain link or heavy gauge dog wire fence for added security.

I'm a single mom without any building experience and converted an existing 8 x 8 shed into a coop and built a 30'x6' run. I work full time from home and built this over about 4 weeks.

The shed/coop was easy. I used a saws all to cut vents at the top of the walls for ventilation and covered with hardware cloth. I also added 2 windows using Plexiglas, hardware cloth and hinges. I splurged on an automatic door. I was really apprehensive about installing this. It turned out to be the simplest. Used cabinets I got from a second hand store for nesting boxes and built a litter board and roost.

For their run I was going to build out of 2x4s. It ended up being too heavy for me to build and then move where I wanted it. So I used 2x4s for the base and PVC piping for the sides. I covered the entire thing with welding wire. Might not be the best for predictors, however I can see it from my office during the day.

I spent a lot of time searching this site and watching youtube. It was hugely rewarding and a great boost of confidence. I never would've thought I could've built this. So proud of how it turned out.

Back
Top Bottom