Chicken Run - Buy or Build?

Pics

olayak

Songster
7 Years
Jul 26, 2012
New York
Hi,
We bought a great chicken coop for our babies but now need a chicken run. I thought I found one that I could simply modify, but it was sold out :(
We live in the country, plenty of mice, weasels, foxes, feral cats, coyotes and even a bear or two (although it has not been seen near where I am placing my coop). So, whatever we have has to be 10000000% predator proof. I am not losing anyone to a predator! And we live in the Northeast, so lots of snow and very cold in the winter (below zero) and hot in the summer (90s).
Very basic building skills, so I'm a bit intimidated about building my own. I would prefer to buy a run kit, but I can't seem to find a large stand-alone run for purchase. We have 4 Cornish X that are adopted pets and are currently 4 weeks old. We may be getting a 5th soon. I've been going nuts trying to find something online, but can't seem to find anything to suit my needs. I would appreciate any advice and/or help! The babies will need to move outside soon!
Thanks

Hi,
We bought a great chicken coop for our babies but now need a chicken run. I thought I found one that I could simply modify, but it was sold out :(
We live in the country, plenty of mice, weasels, foxes, feral cats, coyotes and even a bear or two (although it has not been seen near where I am placing my coop). So, whatever we have has to be 10000000% predator proof. I am not losing anyone to a predator! And we live in the Northeast, so lots of snow and very cold in the winter (below zero) and hot in the summer (90s).
Very basic building skills, so I'm a bit intimidated about building my own. I would prefer to buy a run kit, but I can't seem to find a large stand-alone run for purchase. We have 4 Cornish X that are adopted pets and are currently 4 weeks old. We may be getting a 5th soon. I've been going nuts trying to find something online, but can't seem to find anything to suit my needs. I would appreciate any advice and/or help! The babies will need to move outside soon!
Thanks
A 10x10x6 with a canopy for shad. Throw some poultry netting over the kennel and your good to go. Easy to move and durable.

I would definitely build. It's actually quite fun building, and anything you don't know about building you can learn along the way, or ask on here!

My husband and I had an agreement, he has no interest in chickens so if I wanted them, I had to build the entire coop/run. So I did! And I have a huge sense of achievement about it too. And haven't lost one to a predator! It's been 3 years now.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom