Chicken Run - Buy or Build?

Make sure you put hardware cloth on the bottom to keep the hungry burrowing animals from digging into the coop. Don't worry about your building skills use enough nails and /screws and make it sturdy. I'm 67 and I built mine with out any help (except for a lot of bandaids and ibuprofen).

Attachments

• chicken coop.JPG
    chicken coop.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 36
  • coop side view.JPG
    coop side view.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 35
That's a great idea, I didn't think of putting a dog kennel outside the run! I have spare dog kennel panels (from the previous home owner), I could possible incorporate those in somehow for extra reinforcement!

Make sure you put hardware cloth on the bottom to keep the hungry burrowing animals from digging into the coop. Don't worry about your building skills use enough nails and /screws and make it sturdy. I'm 67 and I built mine with out any help (except for a lot of bandaids and ibuprofen).
wow! looks great!! I would love if I could end up with something similar!

IMG_7559.JPG

We originally thought the coop/run combo would do but with 6 girls they just needed alittle more room. This is our set up, just added the dog run to the existing house and presto, run & coop/run combo. I added hardware cloth around the fence perimeter for added safety. I haven't put anything on the top of the kennel for aerial predators but plan on once the leaves fall. My girls love the extra room to hang until I get home from work then they free range under my watchful eye. Good luck and I'll be watching this thread.

I'm a single mom without any building experience and converted an existing 8 x 8 shed into a coop and built a 30'x6' run. I work full time from home and built this over about 4 weeks.

The shed/coop was easy. I used a saws all to cut vents at the top of the walls for ventilation and covered with hardware cloth. I also added 2 windows using Plexiglas, hardware cloth and hinges. I splurged on an automatic door. I was really apprehensive about installing this. It turned out to be the simplest. Used cabinets I got from a second hand store for nesting boxes and built a litter board and roost.

For their run I was going to build out of 2x4s. It ended up being too heavy for me to build and then move where I wanted it. So I used 2x4s for the base and PVC piping for the sides. I covered the entire thing with welding wire. Might not be the best for predictors, however I can see it from my office during the day.

I spent a lot of time searching this site and watching youtube. It was hugely rewarding and a great boost of confidence. I never would've thought I could've built this. So proud of how it turned out.

I'll be honest I didn't read through all the replies yet but just an FYI. Mice can squeeze through a 1/2 inches space so if there are mice around that is something to consider. I used a 1/4 inch hard wire cloth around my run. And I agree with the building.

my cousin uses chicken wire at the sides and grape netting over the top

I'm a single mom without any building experience and converted an existing 8 x 8 shed into a coop and built a 30'x6' run. I work full time from home and built this over about 4 weeks.

The shed/coop was easy. I used a saws all to cut vents at the top of the walls for ventilation and covered with hardware cloth. I also added 2 windows using Plexiglas, hardware cloth and hinges. I splurged on an automatic door. I was really apprehensive about installing this. It turned out to be the simplest. Used cabinets I got from a second hand store for nesting boxes and built a litter board and roost.

For their run I was going to build out of 2x4s. It ended up being too heavy for me to build and then move where I wanted it. So I used 2x4s for the base and PVC piping for the sides. I covered the entire thing with welding wire. Might not be the best for predictors, however I can see it from my office during the day.

I spent a lot of time searching this site and watching youtube. It was hugely rewarding and a great boost of confidence. I never would've thought I could've built this. So proud of how it turned out.
Welcome to byc! You should start a new thread with your build, we would love to see it!

It wasn't just the size, was wondering if that kind of prefab metal run actually works or if the gaps are too big and will let predators in....

Haven't finished checking out what the rest of the thread states, but since the first page seems to be copies of the same posts several times, I'll answer now.

Yes, weasels and other "armed" predators can reach thru 1x1" wire - they can also tear chicken wire easily. Some can reach through 1/2"x1/2" (which by the way, totally sucks).

Yes, not only can those gaps let predators in, but your chicks at that age can get thru quite easily. Older chicks can get thru the gaps on them, too. Ask me how I know, LOL!!

Easy to build, temporary, and affordable run. HMMMMM... hoop cattle panels ($22/ea @ TSC). You can attach them to a tire frame, a wood frame, a PVC frame OR you can drive t-posts into the ground to hold the panels where you want them. You could even put 1 side against a tree or 2.

Then you can cover lower portion w/ small enough wire to prevent predators (recommend HW cloth) from getting in and cover the top with at least 2x4 wire to keep your mature chickens in (chicks aren't going to fly 8' high, usually). Or you can roof it with a variety of different roofing products - as simple as a tarp or green house panels or roofing panels. You can add as many panels as you want to make it longer.

Again, a variety of options for the end not attached to your coop. Use cut panel for gate, build a framed out door (if I can do that with a simple circular saw, a handful of screws, 2 hinges, staples from a hand held staple gun and chicken wire, anyone can!!), use PVC...

We use our hooped cattle panels as the actual coops and the chickens free range during the day. I also now have cattle panels hooped over some square pens that were built by the previous owner of this property (have 2 done, need to do the other 2) - so now I can stand up in those pens. We are building fenced areas off of those coops - hoping don't need to cover them (would be pricey - even using hooped panels) but may have to as I have several breeds that I am now breeding that are very flighty even w/o considering predators...

180917_162859.jpg 180918_142117.jpg

The feed bags on the bottom of the pen served two purposes - kept "chicks" in the 2x4 wire that was up on the pen when I had to put them there before an out of state run while having someone else take care of lots of young chicks and now they help to provide wind/rain protection. Both of these pics were taken AFTER Hurricane Florence ripped through. Now we have the aftermath of Hurricane Michael (wind and rain, but didn't hang out this time) - both of these survived WELL. I was impressed. Yes, I know. My pens are "kinda hilly billy country" in looks. You can certainly make them look nicer and there are many on this forum who have.

We have had predators and I will be replacing the 2x4 wire (old and rusty, actually) with HW cloth since eventual plan is to have much younger chicks in these pens... The chicks that could get out are 55 Flowery Hens that were 12 weeks old (pullets & cockerels) - body build/size similar to Leghorns.

If you REALLY want to use those pre-built panels - I recommend chain link dog kennels. Wire is actually stronger, gaps are smaller and they are about $300-500 less in cost for the same size pen(s)... You would still need to put some type of wire to prevent predators from getting in and keeping your chicks in at that size..

Snow load - you can still use hooped panels. Search "Blooie". Her and her hubby have a whole series w/ pics of how they built a run in WYO and how it handled snow load.

Good luck with your CornishX as pets. It's good to be working with a vet on that since they aren't usually long lived birds...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom