Chicken with Abdominal infection

Sorry for your loss.

The blackish color makes me think dead blood- I've seen (and drained) gloppy yellow that was obviously end stage EYP but (so far) not black. Did she have any kind of trauma that might have caused her to bleed internally? That's the first thing I thought of - especially if she was laying normally up to a few days ago.

Also- just as a chicken medical kit suggestion- next time you're at a farm supply store I highly recommend picking up a few 16 gauge needles- 14 gauge if you can find them. Usually they're found in the cattle section. The larger gauge makes for easier draining, especially if you find yourself with a thicker goo that needs to be drained.

Sorry for your loss.

The blackish color makes me think dead blood- I've seen (and drained) gloppy yellow that was obviously end stage EYP but (so far) not black. Did she have any kind of trauma that might have caused her to bleed internally? That's the first thing I thought of - especially if she was laying normally up to a few days ago.

Also- just as a chicken medical kit suggestion- next time you're at a farm supply store I highly recommend picking up a few 16 gauge needles- 14 gauge if you can find them. Usually they're found in the cattle section. The larger gauge makes for easier draining, especially if you find yourself with a thicker goo that needs to be drained.

There were no signs of trauma that I noticed but then again, who knows. Chickens are so good at hiding when they are injured or don’t feel well. I used a 16 gauge to drain her, I looked for 14s but I’m not sure my farm store carries them. I’ll probably end up ordering some to have on hand just in case.

I'm wondering if she suffered Fatty Liver Haemorrhagic Syndrome and the liver ruptured/haemorrhaged at the gall bladder. That might produce dark green/black fluid and cause a relatively sudden onset compared to other ailments where ascites takes longer to build up and they often stop laying for months before. Is there any possibility of you opening her up and looking inside. That would obviously be the best way to help figure it out, but I understand that it is not something everyone can get their head around.

I'm wondering if she suffered Fatty Liver Haemorrhagic Syndrome and the liver ruptured/haemorrhaged at the gall bladder. That might produce dark green/black fluid and cause a relatively sudden onset compared to other ailments where ascites takes longer to build up and they often stop laying for months before. Is there any possibility of you opening her up and looking inside. That would obviously be the best way to help figure it out, but I understand that it is not something everyone can get their head around.

I hadn’t thought of that! The first thing I thought when I started draining the liquid off was that it looked like bile. Unfortunately necropsy isn’t an option as I buried her a couple of days ago.

x2, that's what I was thinking it could be.

I got that dark green fluid from hens I drained multiple times, but it was internal laying. It was definitely not fatty liver with mine. It was not quite as black as what shows in your photos, however. This was a small hen.
348_dcp_5482.jpg

This came from a hen who was depositing yolks into her liver (vet confirmed that) over a 2 year period. Big color difference. That was about 660 cc from one draining, the only actual time we drained her abdomen.

There were no signs of trauma that I noticed but then again, who knows. Chickens are so good at hiding when they are injured or don’t feel well. I used a 16 gauge to drain her, I looked for 14s but I’m not sure my farm store carries them. I’ll probably end up ordering some to have on hand just in case.

Yes, they are masters of hiding their pain, which often leaves us at the end stage of something when there's not a whole lot to be done. Needle wise- I had to order the 14 gauge from a medical supply company - just ordered a box of 100 - it will be a long time before I go through all of those. But when you need them, you need them. Around here 16 gauge seems to be the norm for the farm stores, which will do in a pinch- certainly better than dealing with 18 or smaller regardless of the viscosity.

Back
Top Bottom