Chicken with Coccidiosis! Help!

The product is called, COCCIVEX.
It's distributed by S.P Veterinaria, S.A.
The dosage instructions are on the bottle.
The problem is that COCCIVEX does not sell in Portugal and S.P Veterinaria does not ship the product... @Shadrach do you know where I can find COCCIVEX here? I've searched online but I can't find anything...

Your vet may have a form of amprollium, but sulfa antibiotics which a vet should have as well, would be good for coccidiosis. Sulfa drugs such as Sulfadimethoxine or sulfamethazine are usual ones. Since vets treat dogs with coccidiosis as well, they should be able to sell something possibly without seeing the chicken.

The problem is that COCCIVEX does not sell in Portugal and S.P Veterinaria does not ship the product... @Shadrach do you know where I can find COCCIVEX here? I've searched online but I can't find anything...
I've had a look but I can't find a Portuguese suppler.
Your best bet is probably the Internet.

The problem is that I don't have a vet nor can I afford one. I think I found a place outside Lisbon that sells something for coccidiosis, however it's been over a week and she seems do be much better now ! Her poop returned to normal and I think that she's eating well again! It seems reasonable to assume that she survived coccidiosis, don't you think? If that's the case, may I rejoin her to the rest of the flock? And once she starts laying, will she lay the same amount of eggs as a chicken who never had coccidiosis? Thank you all

If the hen had cocciciosis, all the flock were also exposed, so returning her isn't an issue.

Whether or not she lays eggs will depend on her. You really don't know for a fact that she's survived coccidiosis without the fecal float test to determine what, if any, parasites were in her intestines. Since she rallied on her own without treatment, Id say the chances are good she'll continue to lay as before. Time will tell.

Is your chicken sick? How did you diagnose coccidiosis?
I'm not 100% sure she had coccidiosis, however she did have all the simptoms! She's looking good and so are the rest of the flock! Should I give them aprolium now or only if they show some simptoms of coccidiosis? Thanks a lot guys

Amprolium certainly can be given as a preventative so that if you suspect your soil is harboring a greater number of these pests than usual under warm, wet climate conditions, your chickens will be able to more safely develop a resistance. This is, in fact, the purpose of feeding medicated (feed laced with a small amount of amprolium) chick starter to new baby chicks.

You should see two sets of mixing instructions on the amprolium bottle. One will be for a preventative dose for well chickens and the other will be the treatment dose for sick chickens.

Your vet may have a form of amprollium, but sulfa antibiotics which a vet should have as well, would be good for coccidiosis. Sulfa drugs such as Sulfadimethoxine or sulfamethazine are usual ones. Since vets treat dogs with coccidiosis as well, they should be able to sell something possibly without seeing the chicken.

General question -- can aquarium antibiotics be safely used on chickens? (I've done this a lot with reptiles when I can't get sulfa or erethromycin quickly otherwise, but never looked into it for birds.)

https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?p=details&id=639#.XIMZQqOIZoo

Back
Top Bottom