Chicken with odd scab on foot starting to smell rotten...

My Vetricyn is hydrogel ... Oh I just noticed I have Vetricyn plus. They're just like that dakin solution, but the "plus" is in hydrogel form - it gels on contact.

Also coconut oil is good for cuts, scrapes, etc. Keeps things moist & has antibiotic properties. I tend to lean towards natural things. I've used it on me & my pets. I know it will cause no harm.

Last edited:
My Vetricyn is hydrogel ... Oh I just noticed I have Vetricyn plus. They're just like that dakin solution, but the "plus" is in hydrogel form - it gels on contact.
I have that as well, but it didn't seem to do a very good job. A scab formed anyway and now I have to remove it. Maybe it dried out because the wrapping gauze isn't airtight enough, and the saran wrap will fix that?

I need help again
So her foot that I've been dealing with is looking very good. Some of the scab is loose and underneath is almost healed and healthy tissue.

But her other foot has bumblefoot. I didn't mention it since I wanted to focus on this
first foot and figured I had the other foot under control. I removed that scab a couple days ago and it is not looking good; I'm having trouble. I made a separate thread about it since it is a separate bumblefoot and for the sake of organization. That thread is ~here~. You guys have been extremely helpful and supportive with me and my hen and I cannot thank you enough. But I need more help, if anyone is interested and would like to give me some advice, please check out the thread that I linked. I'm not sure if posting this reply notifies everyone that has replied here, so I guess we'll see lol.

I will probably post a better update with pictures of her first foot here to show the healing, but right now I'm focusing on her other foot. Thank you guys again!

I need help again
So her foot that I've been dealing with is looking very good. Some of the scab is loose and underneath is almost healed and healthy tissue.

But her other foot has bumblefoot. I didn't mention it since I wanted to focus on this
first foot and figured I had the other foot under control. I removed that scab a couple days ago and it is not looking good; I'm having trouble. I made a separate thread about it since it is a separate bumblefoot and for the sake of organization. That thread is ~here~. You guys have been extremely helpful and supportive with me and my hen and I cannot thank you enough. But I need more help, if anyone is interested and would like to give me some advice, please check out the thread that I linked. I'm not sure if posting this reply notifies everyone that has replied here, so I guess we'll see lol.

I will probably post a better update with pictures of her first foot here to show the healing, but right now I'm focusing on her other foot. Thank you guys again!
This post notified me, so it worked!

Hey guys, it's been a while and I know I said I would post another update soon, and I'm kind of overdue on that. My last post I said that the foot was almost completely healed... well, I was wrong. I thought it was gone but it wasn't, it started coming back. I've continued to fight it and was starting to loose hope. This foot and her other foot seemed to stop making progress. I had another hen, Maude, that got bumblefoot too and I was doing her as well, and I decided that when she gets cured (it wasn't as bad for her) then I will decide to be done with Quackers (the hen that has been the subject of this thread) if there is no progress and will put her down. When Maude got it, I decided to get some Tricide-Neo for them and have soaked them everyday. This appears to have gotten rid of the infection in Maude, though I am checking her everyday to be sure.

Because Maude's infection appears to be gone, last week I removed Quackers' scabs and, lo and behold, there was healed skin underneath! I was completely not expecting such progress and audibly gasped when I saw it. Now I know that the infection could still be there, I'm not making the same mistake twice, but both of her feet have healed skin, similar to Maude's. I'm continuing to soak her and am acting like the infection is still there until I know FOR SURE it is gone. But my hopes have been restored and putting her down is, as of now, off the table.

Because I now have two hens that got it on both feet, I am suspicious that they are not getting the proper nutrients or something, so I am going to try to fix that.

Anyway, I'm sure most of you won't get a notification of this post. I think it only notifies the last person to make a post or something. But I hope this helps anybody that comes across this thread who is trying to beat bumblefoot.

Back
Top Bottom