Chicken with shut eye *pics*

albird101

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
This is my new hampshire hen, she was perfectly fine yesterday but this morning when I went out to let them out of the coop I noticed she was still on the roosting bar. I noticed both of her eyes shut and she couldn't see, at first I thought someone pecked her but then I seem some discharge that got dried and shut her eye close, I got a warm rag and it loosened up the discharge and her eye open up again except it looks swollen or something under her eye and Doesn't fully allow her to open it. She's still really active and eating but her eye is just really bothering her. The other chickens are totally fine and healthy and she's fine to except her eye...

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry about your hen. It could very well be Coryza or MG. Definitely post this pic and question in our emergency section. Mountain Peeps has left you with the link. I hope you can get her back to good health soon.

[COLOR=333333]Hello there and welcome to BYC! [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]:frow [/COLOR]

So sorry about your hen. It could very well be Coryza or MG. Definitely post this pic and question in our emergency section. Mountain Peeps has left you with the link. I hope you can get her back to good health soon. 
Her eye is getting sorta better, like she can fully open it and the swolleness is going down a bit, if it coryza is it possible she affected my whole flock already?:( I have 22 chickens and I feel terrible is they got it

Quote: You can tell it is Coryza by the smell. Smell her face. If it smells, it is Coryza. If there is no smell, then it probably is not. Yes, Coryza is contagious. And so is MG. You might start her on oral antibiotics. Maybe some Duramycin in her water. She obviously has some sort of infection going. But still, you should post this in our emergency section for more input.

Last edited:
Have you received a diagnosis on your hen? I hope she is on her way to healing. Hope it wasn't contagious to your other birds.

How is your hen doing now ??????
She's doing really well!! Her nasal discharge went away and the swelling in her eyes went away to she's looks like a normal healthy hen now but I still have her by her self because, it looks like her throat or something is congested, when she runs and starts panting you can hear mucus in her throat like if some thing was blocking her air way so I'm still working on that, any suggestions what it could be? It's like wheezing so I thought it could be bronchitis, but I'm not sure

Have you received a diagnosis on your hen?  I hope she is on her way to healing. Hope it wasn't contagious to your other birds.
I haven't yet, at first I thought it could be coryza but that wasn't it then, I thought it could be mg except her symptoms cleared up the next day so she's doing really week except she has this wheezing problem when ever she breathes with her mouth open its as if she was contested with mucus or something, nothing coming out her mouth or anything so I dunno what it could be? Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom