Chicken with Watery white poop

There hasn't been a lot to update, just slow progress forward.

Yesterday we had a bit of a scare/setback. She slipped off the couch and managed to tear out her feeding tube. So trip to the vet. They cleaned up the area, but didn't replace it. The purpose was to help her gain weight, so seeing how she does without it rather than putting her back under anesthesia to replace.

She really doesn't want to cooperate with taking the assist feed orally... 😔

She lost 40grams at her appointment today. So while she is eating it's not as much as she needs to.

She is active and alert, and the hole from the feeding tube is healing quickly. So just need her to gain weight...

The vet said she can have some peas or carrots or squash baby food, and said I can try the assist feed in plain jello to try to entice her to eat more. She also approved 4 blueberries a day (her favorite treat).

The vet didn't want to go the meat route (cat/dog food). She would prefer she get protein from insects although Alice isn't a huge fan of insects (I am aware she is a strange chicken). Although, they weren't added to the list of things I am supposed to try over the next couple days before her next appointment.

Hmmm....What about scrambled eggs? Or a little cooked rice with buttermilk? Or insect treats like meal worms and/or black fly larvae? I sure hope Alice gains weight. When is her next appointment?

Next appointment is Thursday. She hasn't been interested in scrambled eggs when they have been offered before. (Picky chicken). I have been considering them since that is usually one of the go to choices for weight gain.

I think the rice might be hard to digest since she doesn't get grit till the internal stuff is all healed, but I can ask.

I am certainly open to suggestions of anything that might work.

Haven't seen dried soldier fly larva for sale around here before or I haven't noticed anyway. She didn't want live ones when I had them as feeders. Dried meal worms she might eat a little, but doesn't like live ones. She isn't enthusiastic about them for sure.

In the evenings the crickets tend to be plentiful, before she was sick they would go out to hunt, Margo would offer her some of the crickets and she would accept 2 or 3 before turning the rest down, she would rather eat the weeds, and she didn't think that the bugs were worth the effort.

Honestly, of all the chickens I have had, she eats the fewest treats, and will prefer the layer crumbles to higher protein options (like chick starter or game bird food). She would rather bask in the sun over any treats, but fruits and greens are the top of her list for what she wants.

20211028_160758_07_saved.jpg

Her visit went OK today. She is up 5 grams, not much but better than losing.

She is acting great, and is healing great from where the feeding tube had been.

More restrictions were lifted so she can eat more things so hopefully we can get some weight on her.

She is doing great! She has been eating a lot and had gained over 100grams at her Tuesday check up. I think she heard us talking about the possibility of having to put the feeding tube back so she made an effort to eat as much as possible Monday night, but with a good report there is no need for it.

The hole from the feeding tube is completely healed. She acts like her normal self, and slowly feeling a little more muscle mass.
20211030_123821.jpg

Alice had her last recheck today! She gained 190grams and is doing great! She is allowed outside now (supervised to avoid eating too much grass).

The grass has since been pulled out of their dust bath sand box, but this was her first dust bath since everything started. She stayed until it was past dark (turned on the lights).

Attachments

• 20211109_172143.jpg
    20211109_172143.jpg
    780.3 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom