"Chickenizing" my SO

Get her a rooster. Get her to read how to handle it and when the time comes, if it comes, you and the chickens can make babies and see which produces the cutest looking.:)
Definitely don't get her a rooster.
They aren't a good idea for her first chicken.
Pretty sure getting flogged by him when he's grown is not going to make her like chickens.

I was at a Western wear/feed shop for boots, and they had a big bin full of chicks. A sign above said, "Do not handle the chicks." I looked at the chicks, looked at the sign, looked back at the chicks and realized I'm GONNA handle those chicks. So I bought 3!

We had no set up for chickens. My husband was mad. Like we need more animals?? But he went to work and built a beautiful coop and pen. And you should hear him talk baby talk to those hens. He sits in the backyard in the sun, petting a chicken on his lap. Like Poultry Prozac.
Just for those reading these replies...when they say not to handle the chicks it’s for Biosecurity...unknownly you can transmit diseases. Your chickens may have immunity to certain strains of virus’s that newly hatched chicks do not. And in a worse case scenario visa-versa.

Last edited:
Jeeze, you're on the right track already get the lady some brahmas or faverolles and watch her become a crazy chicken lady in front of your very eyes. Don't be put off by size, i'm 4"11 and 114 pounds and still snuggle my brahma girl. Favs are also very "clingy" and babyish even the fellas so if a rooster happens no big whoop! Big plus both breeds are super soft and slooow even as adults so they are perfect for nervous ladies, kids, seniors pretty much anybody who might need a softer less menaceing chicken.:)

@Shadrach :lau.... I love roosters and usually have about three with an orbiting flock of juvies messin with them.... only been flogged once... Second time he went "away"

Chances are 50/50 a Silkey chick will be a hen or a roo. Because they cant be sexed... You dont know untill they Crow or Lay an egg. My Silky Roos Were a hoot. Kind to people But Dang they held their own with the LF roos.

So Name the Silkey a name that can either Feminized or Masculineized... (is that a word)
OR neutral... Like Pat....:gig

Not to worry about egg production.... This is for her. and so worth it for entertainment value and peace....

deb

Just for those reading these replies...when they say not to handle the chicks it’s for Biosecurity...unknownly you can transmit diseases. Your chickens may have immunity to certain strains of virus’s that newly hatched chicks do not. And in a worse case scenario visa-versa.
Agreed

Back
Top Bottom