Chickens and Kennel Cough

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Marcymom3, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

My dog, Kona, caught kennel cough from my daughter's dog who was visiting on Thanksgiving. The vet put her on an antibiotic and a cough med. My chickens range the yard in the same area as the dog. I am wondering if anyone has ever seen or heard of kennel cough crossing over to chickens. And if so, what is the recommended treatment? They are laying just fine, have better than average appetite now that it is cold, and have no symptoms of any kind of illness. All advice welcome! Thank you!

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Kennel cough can be caused by a few different bugs (viral and bacterial), but AFAIK most are dog specific and none that I know of will affect chickens. (someone correct me if I am wrong [​IMG]).

3. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I would say it's a definite no to your question. My dogs got kennel cough last year from our neighbor's dog (or at least I think that's where they got it) and the hens were fine.

4. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! I am not borrowing trouble, but was worried.

5. MsPony

MsPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Nope! My rescue came with it, nothing happened to hens.'other dog caught it a few months ago, nothing happened to hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by