Chickens, and where you live

Ed62

Songster
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Calumet Township-NW Indiana
Just wondering how many people have chickens, while living on a small lot, and maybe in the city. We have just shy of 1/2 acre, actually about .47 acre. We live in an unincorporated area. What about you?

Ed

I live on the Colorado Plateau and live on 1/8th of an acre with six hens. I learned about the "deep litter" method here on BYC so smell isn't a problem and even though they are a bit noisy, the dogs down the street get all the complaints instead. Population of Moab is about 10,000 people and the next biggest town is over 100 miles away.

We have an 80 acre farm, been in my DH's family since civil war times. We don't have any close neighbors, but every single one we do have is a commercial chicken farmer. I'm a novelty around here.
I have 34 chickens in two coops right now, but always wanting more - and ducks too!. I have promised DH no more except those that my hens hatch out, which is why I ordered two silkies in my last batch and had my fingers crossed behind my back when I promised it.
wink.png

We have just over a half acre. We live in a town, but sorta out on the edge, "country" is down the road a piece. We have 5 Pullets outside and seven 3 day old chicks on the diningroom table. We're just getting started so we'll see how it goes. City Ordinance does limit us to 12 hens.

I'm on a 1/4 of an acre (large lot) in the Seattle metro area. Have 4 hens right now, will add a couple more next year probably. Limited to 5 total, but I use chicken math to count.

Imp

Inside city limits, legal EXCEPT for the number of chickens I am keeping, on an acre of property with two houses; my land-lady lives in the "front house" and I live in the rental house. She keeps 3 Barbados sheep as pets. She let me move in with 2 small dogs, 4 cats, and generously allowed me to keep chickens after I'd been here about a year. (She appreciates the wonderful, free eggs.)

I'm very cagey about the number of chickens I admit to her I actually have.

West Sacramento (pop. 49,138) is nestled up against the metropolitan city of Sacramento (pop. 418,711), in the California Central Valley area, with two major rivers flowing through both cities. Animal services in West Sac are handled by the County of Yolo, though, not the local municipality. If you are on an acre or more, you are allotted 25 "Animal Density Points" for livestock (which includes poultry). The land-lady's sheep each count for 4 pts, and chickens are a point apiece. "Immature offspring not sexually mature have NO point value."

Lessee... I have 24 free ranging chickens, 19 chicks of various ages in two brooders and a grow-out coop, and six incubators full of eggs. (I got the addiction BAD.) Plus a Cayuga duck pair.

Quote:
We lived in Mountlake Terrace for a short time - that is a large lot in Seattle!

I have about 1/4 acre here and right now it is inhabited by 13 chickens (OK one is inside in the basement on a nest)

I can have up to 30 legally and it usually goes over that in the spring when I hatch out a bunch of chicks
smile.png

We live on .87 acre in a city.Farm animals are legal IF the barn/coop is I think 100 feet from the neighbors house.Wish it was 50 feet!Atleast the city allows them.Some neighboring cities don't let you have anything besides dogs and cats. I am always looking at house listings,but now I would never buy a place where you can not have chickens.

Back
Top Bottom