chickens are stuuuuuupid

abhaya

Songster
12 Years
Nov 5, 2010
cookeville, tn
My girls and roo roo free range in an effort to keep them a bit closer to the coop I have been going out a couple times a day and tossing a handful of scratch for them. I noticed they are really not eating the layer feed in the coop sooooo I tossed a handfull of layer feed instead of scratch they ate it like it was the worlds greatest treat. Chikens really are stuuuuupid

Heh, mine are like that, too. When it's in the feeder it's "Meh... chicken feed. Pick. Peck." When it's on the floor it's "OMG! Chicken feed! And it's on the floor! Om nom nom!"

Same w/ mine, sometimes when I don't have a treat for them I'll take they feed and some scratch and mix it w/ a little milk or water and put it in the "treat" place and they go at it like wild chickens even though almost the same exact thing has been in their food dispenser all day!

It is more fun for them when the food is on the ground. It gives them the feeling of foraging for it and they get to scratch at it.
big_smile.png

The likely reason is that you're feeding too much scratch. Remember, there's no nutrition in there - Just carbohydrates and fat. So, really, it's like candy. And if you truly think of the "stupidity" of it - Humans will do the SAME thing.

If you want them to eat their layer pellets, cut back the scratch or change it to something a little more healthy, such as sunflower seeds.

Quote:
I dont think I am over doing it on the scratch I measured a handful it is less than 1/4 of a cup for 7 chickens. Is that too much?

Quote:
No that is not too much.

Food that comes "from the hand" is often gulped before they even taste it - cause they want to get it down before someone else can take it. And this is more so true if it is a "treat/food" that is not new to their eyes.

If you were to take a couple handfuls of pellets and throw them out, after the first burst of excitement - they will likely walk away from the extra pellets.

Personally I do not like a corn based scratch - really not much there for your chickens - I like a mix of boss (black oil sunflower seeds), safflower seeds, white wheat, oats and millet. Even tho my birds LOVE their "scratch" if I was to pour them a bowl full, eventually they will leave it in the bowl just like pellets.

Back
Top Bottom