Chickens attacked by some dogs today. What should i treat my Rooster with?

70monte

Songster
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
Aurora, MO
I was at work today and my fiance went to town and when she came home, there were two dogs on top of my Barred Rock rooster. They ran off when they saw her. They had also attacked one of the hens and when she saw them next, one of them had the hen in it's mouth as it ran across the pasture. She had run inside to get the gun but they were too far off for her to shoot when she came back out. We drove out in the pasture when we got home but it was dark and we did not find any signs of the hen anywhere. No feathers or anything.

She finally found the rooster who had run off when she touched him when she went over to see if he was dead. He was under the shed but she finally chased him into the pen. She had to leave for town to meet me to go to a birthday party.

It was dark when we got home. The rooster was on the lower roost by himself which is not like him. I examined him and on his back under his feathers, his skin is scraped raw in some spots and in one spot it looks like a slight puncture.

The wounds were clean looking. The only thing I had around the house was some Bacitracin antibiotic ointment which I put on the wounds. He is keeping his eye on the right side of his head closed. I opened the lid and the eye looks okay. He is very docile at the moment and may be slightly in shock since he doesn't liked to be handled or touched. He didn't even move when I was doctoring his wounds.

Is there anything else I should be doing for him? I'm not even sure how badly hurt he is as I didn't try and take him off of the roost for now.

We are pretty ****** right now and if those dogs come back on the property, they are dead. We live out in the country and this type of thing is usually not a problem. The neighbors say that they are not their dogs even though the dogs eventually ran over to their house. We saw these dogs the other day on the road in the front of the house but they ran off when we went outside.

We had only recently let our chickens start free ranging again but only when we are home but she figured they would be okay while she went to town. I guess they will stay penned up again for now until I can make sure those dogs won't be back. What a crappy day.

Wayne

You can put betadine to disinfect the wound since it was an an attack. Don't use more than once because it injures healing tissue. After that you can use saline or distilled water to cleanse the wound if needed. Then put antibiotic pointment (without pain reliever) once or twice per day. I would increase his protein for a week or so. Hard boiled eggs, yogurt etc. It sounds like he may be ok, just in shock. I have also heard to give vitamin B12 too. Good luck!

Thank you for the replies and that link, it was very helpful. I went back out last night to check on him and looked at his head a little closer and noticed that he has a bloody fluid coming out of both ears. I tried looking at that closer but he jumped off of the roost and went and sat down in the back corner of the coop so I just left him alone. He was back on the low roost when I opened up the coop this morning. I will just have to keep an eye on him and hopefully he will recover.

Wayne

Well, my rooster seems to be getting better. His behavior is starting to become more like it was before he was attacked. I do have a questiong about his eye though.

The eye itself doesn't looked injured but is starting to get some white stuff building up in his eye. Kind of like the sleepy stuff kids sometimes get in their eye. I used a Q-tip yesteday to get it out but it is back today. Should I keep trying to clean this out or leave it. What is it exactly? I don't know if it is some type of infection or not. Thanks.

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom