chickens comb is purple, acting lethargic

Crowblossom

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2023
California
One of my golden sex link hens have been acting lethargic recently, I wasn’t sure if it was because of the heat (i live in southern california) so I’ve been giving her electrolytes and some supplements. They aren’t getting any better and their comb has turned a purpleish color at the edges.
the other hens have no symptoms.
is she sick? What could i do to make her better?

image.jpg

image.jpg

One of my golden sex link hens have been acting lethargic recently, I wasn’t sure if it was because of the heat (i live in southern california) so I’ve been giving her electrolytes and some supplements. They aren’t getting any better and their comb has turned a purpleish color at the edges.
What are the "some supplements"?

When was her last egg?
What does her poop look like?
What do you normally feed, including treats?

Her crop looks a bit puffy, but that may be from eating/drinking depending on the time of day the photo was taken.
Re-check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink to make sure it's emptying.

While you are checking her out, look for lice/mites and feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for any bloat or feeling of fluid.

What are the "some supplements"?

When was her last egg?
What does her poop look like?
What do you normally feed, including treats?

Her crop looks a bit puffy, but that may be from eating/drinking depending on the time of day the photo was taken.
Re-check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink to make sure it's emptying.

While you are checking her out, look for lice/mites and feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for any bloat or feeling of fluid.
I give her oregano oil made for chickens, and Rooster Booster.
Her last egg was earlier today, she lays eggs nearly every day.
Her poop is normal, sometimes a bit watery.
I feed my chickens Modesto Milling feed and for their treats I give them dried mealworms and sometimes Baby Cake. It’s leftover from when I got new chicks a few months ago.
Her crop was empty before I fed them and there doesn’t seem to be any bloating or excess fluid in her abdomen. There were also no signs of mites on any of the chickens or in the coop.

It has been a few days since my chicken first showed signs of sickness... now she seems to be all better? Her comb is no longer purple and is instead a bright red. She's more normal now.
I just wanted to update this thread with that.

Back
Top Bottom