Chickens coming out at night.

I've noticed for 2 days now couple of my hens are coming out of roost. It is 5 am (Alabama) now and I have 5 hens and a rooster out. My husband said the rooster has been out since 11p. What could be causing them to do this?
Are they not shut in at night?

There is light coming from somewhere. Chickens have very poor night vision; they are almost completely blind in the dark. Instinctually they go away at night to avoid predation. You must have a light on somewhere or a pesky street lamp or something....
Plus they should be locked in their coop at night anyway. They shouldn’t have free access to their run all night.

Plus they should be locked in their coop at night anyway. They shouldn’t have free access to their run all night.

Not necessarily.

If the OP has a secure, predator-proof run there is nothing wrong with giving the chickens free access to go in and out as they choose.

It's particularly useful to have this setup if members of the household work shifts that don't allow for the ability to go out at dawn to let the chickens out or to be home at dark to shut them up.

I had that arrangement with my in-town flock and I intend to have it when I build the permanent coop/run because during these short days we leave for work and school while it's still dark and even a short after-work stop to run an errand or two means that it's dark when we get home.

There is light coming from somewhere. Chickens have very poor night vision; they are almost completely blind in the dark. Instinctually they go away at night to avoid predation. You must have a light on somewhere or a pesky street lamp or something....
My girls aren't locked up because they fly over the gate and they few range on 6 acres but always go in coop to roost at night. I since all this have put coop freshness in and cleaned nest boxes again and no problems anymore

Back
Top Bottom