Chickens crop is literally rotting off

But you don't know the first thing about it. Asking never hurt, which is why I AM asking in case it was a viable idea. Either way, a more professional response could potentially educate anyone interested enough to read this thread. I started a new thread asking the same question, so don't worry we won't bring it up here anymore.

I get it, you can't do it, that's totally cool, but if it was a viable option for putting a pet bird down, it'd be nice to know possibly for other people who may find themselves in a situation in the future.

I don't picture a heroin addict choking on their own vomit with a needle sticking out their ass, I picture peacefully going to sleep, and passing quietly and painlessly.

Let's see if we can get a response from someone who is in a position to know for sure.
The new thread is started, out of respect, any further responses on this sub thread, please take it there.
Thank you
Aaron
I have heard of people attempting to put animals to sleep that way and it ending up going horribly. Seems like very irresponsible advice.

I have heard of people attempting to put animals to sleep that way and it ending up going horribly. Seems like very irresponsible advice.
I think you've been doing the best job taking care of your chickens special needs and the vet really is the best option in any scenario, which as you said is already your next step.

I think the question about ODing a chicken on prescription meds was just an off topic question. Theres nothing wrong with asking questions. Bad advice is a different thing.

I really have to agree here. ODing for an animal is just as bad as it is for people. It isn't pretty. You basically vomit yourself to death and it's not 'peaceful' at all.

I really have to agree here. ODing for an animal is just as bad as it is for people. It isn't pretty. You basically vomit yourself to death and it's not 'peaceful' at all.
That or respiratory failure, cardiac paralysis, having such a severe seizure that you literally break your own bones in the process... It's just a horrible way to go.

BYC is open to everyone to join, and everyone is free to offer their advice. It can get confusing at times when there are a lot of members chiming in, and it's not easy to sort through the bad from the good.

If you will notice the little badges under the user names of some of us. There's a badge called "Educator". BYC staff has screened some of us members as to the trustworthiness and usefulness of the advice we have given over many years. The screening is thorough and rigorous. When you see the black "Educator" badge under someone's user name to the left of their reply on a thread, that advice can be trusted. This isn't to say that other advice should be ignored as some members have a lot of experience and good advice to share regardless of the absence of badges.

This explains the different badges and how they get awarded in case anyone is curious. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/byc-recognition-medals.1214207/

Last edited:
This sounds REALLY bad. I would see a vet immediately. I would just be prepared if the main thing to do is put her down though...
If I could have seen a vet today I would have. Only one vet locally that will even see a chicken and they're closed. I am prepared for the worst. I will do what the vet suggests is best.

If I could have seen a vet today I would have. Only one vet locally that will even see a chicken and they're closed. I am prepared for the worst. I will do what the vet suggests is best.
If you do have to put it down, just remember how you gave the chicken such a good life. If that chicken was a different chicken, chances are it was just gonna be a slaughter hen used for eggs for a year cramped up with other chickens then straight to the slaughter floor to be turned into mcchicken. But it got a loving person instead that gave it such a good life, you.

If you do have to put it down, just remember how you gave the chicken such a good life. If that chicken was a different chicken, chances are it was just gonna be a slaughter hen used for eggs for a year cramped up with other chickens then straight to the slaughter floor to be turned into mcchicken. But it got a loving person instead that gave it such a good life, you.
I have lost 3 chickens already this year. One was from old age. I have tried so hard to save all of them. I don't plan on getting more chickens. It's totally turned me off from eating chicken and eggs.

Back
Top Bottom