chickens eating charcoal?!? is this normal?

missourichickenmama

SURPRISE!
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
Missouri
I was out gathering ashes for the chicken coop and was picking out the charcoal then threw them aside, then my chickens came up and started eating the charcoal! Not just pecking it either, swallowing it! is this normal? Will it hurt them?

(I debated for a while about whether to put it in chicken behaviors and egg laying, or feeding and watering your flock.I decided on feeding and watering your flock. Sorry if this was the wrong place to put it.)

If it's charcoal from a grill - the kind that comes in a bag made for BBQ'ing - yes it can be harmful.

If it is from a wood-burning fire, it's actually good for them!

Last edited:
Quote:
Looks like if they are eating it - this should be the right place to put the question about it, IMO
wink.png

Charcoal? Here's what Dryden said about it in 1909: "Charcoal is a bowel regulator, and most of the successful poultrymen feed it regularly."

James Dryden was an professor of poultry science and the guy who originated the California Grey laying hen. Oregon State University has put his booklet, "Feeding for Eggs" on the internet so folks can download - really, a sensible guy.

I've never heard why it is no longer commonly fed to chickens but doubt if just ordinary charcoal will cause any problems.

Steve

They take a dust bath in the ashes to get rid of mites etc.

I have a brake drum and I fill it with sand and ashes from the fire place. They love to roll in it.

Quote:
so that they can dust bathe in the winter,it keeps them from getting mites I hear.

Quote:
it's from a wood burning fire, we have an out door fire pit thingamabob (I don't know what exactly the proper name for it is...) and a fireplace. it came from the out door fire pit thingamabob.

did you know that thingamabob is actually in my spell check, i did not even add it to my spell check dictionary!

Quote:
I've got 1 or 2 thingamabobs and there's also a doohickey. A whatchamacallit can come in real handy when working on doodads. (checks out in Firefox spellchecker)

These things are sitting idle lately because, with all the doodads, I haven't got a round tooit. And, that ain't in my spellchecker so there's little hope!

Steve's digits

I have always fed my birds (I have no chickens as present) BLUE HEALTH GRIT. It is made by Volkman Seed in Ceres, California. It has charcoal in it. It is supposed to sweeten the crop.

I would be careful with old pieces of charcoal briquettes because they have been treated with inflammable substances. Some of this stuff may remain in product even after being burned. I believe that this could be toxic to your chickens.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom