chickens for your garden?

sniperclp

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
nottingham
i am interested in getting some chickens for my back garden and im wonderiing what breed is the best tempered for kids and for decent egg laying without masses of space any advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance sniperclp

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Here's a chart that gives you details on the different breeds - their egg production, temperment, etc.:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

We also have information available right here on BYC:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/

Personally I love brahmas for their egg laying capabilities as well as their temperment; big, sweet balls of fluff. Nothing upsets my brahma girls, they just have very laid back and calm attitudes. However, LF brahmas are big, really big. You might consider the bantam brahmas.

Try mypetchicken.com and find "Which Chicken" in a yellow font. It will ask you 6 questions and give you suggestions on chickens.
I am a newbie and selected 2 Ameracaunas and 2 Barred Rock. They are both friendly and come when I call "girly girls, girly girls." They follow me around the yard and jabber with me. Yes, I jabber back. The Ameracaunas also lay colored eggs, which is fun.
Good luck!

Quote:
x2

I love my chickens but they make my garden and yard look saaaaaad. I put plastic fencing around my berry and vegetable gardens and just let them destroy my flower beds. Any berry bush or vine/plant that hangs over the fence has been stripped bare. All flower beds have been trampled and de-mulched. They even dig bare spots in the grass in the yard. chickens FOR the garden are a bad idea. Chickens and a garden aren't practical but they at least fit in the same idea. You'll love your chickens, but be prepared to either part with your garden or defend it.

Good luck!!! Let us know if you have more questions!! I've only had chickens for a year so I'm still learning too!

I forgot to add
welcome-byc.gif

clap.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
True, that. They are diggers and ravenous eaters of just about anything green and crunchy! Look, a beetle! Dig Dig Dig...Look, lettuce! Nom, nom, nom, nom.

I have had my "girls" for only 6 months, so I certainly am a newbie, but here is what I have learned. I have 3 chickens on about 1/3 of an acre. Many people have told me I "can have way more" but I don't want them to destroy my yard. I figure the 3 will provide enough eggs, eat bugs and provide fertilizer. I put inexpensive fencing around my garden and lined it with bird netting and it has kept them out...so far. When they find a new plant they like, I put a cage made of chicken wire around it for a couple of weeks and they seem to forget about it and move on. It is kind of a game to keep up with their new tastes in plants, but with blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, vegetable garden and many perennials, I am happy with how this summer went. I will see how next year goes when they are in their second year, but so far, I can deal with the little damage they have done. Oh, I also have found 2 places they like to dust bathe and have let them take over those spots. They haven't taken on a third spot and it seems to be working for us all...no holes in the lawn!

If it a chicken for your garden ......Well all I can say is my chickens LOOOVVVEEDD my garden, yup, yup they ate every last little growing thing in it down to bare dirt! LOL

Yes, you can do veggies and chickens. Great cultivators, tillers and pest control. Wire mesh baskets over plants to protect them. And all sorts of ideas on this site. I found my two lady ducks do a better job weeding though.

Back
Top Bottom