Chickens Hatching - Panting Once Out and Under Heat Lamp?

peej

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 2, 2011
Hello!

I am having a really good hatch rate! Currently 10/14 hatched and have one zipping at the moment! 5 Hatched on day 20 and have been in the incubator for over 24 hours so I took them out and put them in a box with a heat lamp! I think the heat lamp is too close because they were panting! I dipped their beaks in water to give there first drink and I think that helped! I moved the lamp a little farther away than it was at first and it seemed to help... but I am pretty clueless! If anyone has any advice or knowledge of this please let me know! I can post some pictures of the set up too!

EDIT:

3-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

1-2.jpg

Thanks,
Preston

Last edited:
I am not a pro nor have I had any experience with chicks... YET But I have been reading up on it... Babies are the best thermometers. Too close they will pant or stray from the light source. Too cold, they will huddle or shiver. Hope this helps!

Yep, they're too hot. Raise the lamp or lower the wattage. Also make sure they have room to move away into a cooler area of the brooder.

K I will mess with the light and post a picture! Thanks for the fast replies!

I think I got it at the right spot because they are all just chilling around and not panting and not piled up in one corner!

And I added some pictures!

Back
Top Bottom