Chickens have yellow flakey substance on their heads and faces, please help

lemonfroggy

Hatching
Apr 12, 2020
I’m not sure if they have a disease or something I tried to research it but I’m really not sure what to do. They seem okay, and at first it was just one hen. But she spread it to the other and I have two roosters in with them and they don’t have it so I’m not sure?? The roosters seem perfectly healthy, is it because of them? Are the roosters causing this on the hens? I’ll attach some pictures, sorry I’m being so vague I’m really not sure what it is or what to do about it. I really love my little hens they’re very sweet and I don’t want anything to happen to them. Any advice would be great, thanks!

Attachments

• C0E71F31-D7F3-43FF-BB7D-D8891DE94A60.jpeg
    C0E71F31-D7F3-43FF-BB7D-D8891DE94A60.jpeg
    438.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 16B3B6AA-EE1C-4BEE-995B-F7AF518EB7CA.jpeg
    16B3B6AA-EE1C-4BEE-995B-F7AF518EB7CA.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 83ABBF52-B809-4869-9907-B90CA4A88850.jpeg
    83ABBF52-B809-4869-9907-B90CA4A88850.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 8
I am not sure what it is, but it looks like dried secretions, such as eye drainage or nasal drainage from a possible respiratory infection. But feed mixed with water, or fermented feed looks a little like that. Has anyone been sneezing or acting sick? Have you thrown out any food or could they have gotten into something in a compost bed?

I am not sure what it is, but it looks like dried secretions, such as eye drainage or nasal drainage from a possible respiratory infection. But feed mixed with water, or fermented feed looks a little like that. Has anyone been sneezing or acting sick? Have you thrown out any food or could they have gotten into something in a compost bed?
They haven't been acting out of the usual, should i try washing it off? I didn't want to in case it might hurt them or make it worse because i didn't know what it was, but it is possible they got into a bag of bird seed i had stored in my shed. I thought animals had torn it open but now that you mention it it could've been them. I feed them everyday so i cant see why they would want to tear open a bag of bird food but maybe it is that. I'm just being really cautious because i lost one of my hens to unknown reasons recently. I just woke up one morning and she wouldn't stand up or move. She had her feathers fluffed up and wouldn't open her eyes either so i was really worried. She died later that day and i didn't even know why. It really scared me and have been keeping a super close eye on my other three since then.

Back
Top Bottom