Chickens In Ya Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to get a few apples to make a pie, and ended up at an orchard picking 25 pounds of mixed varieties. Gonna be putting up pie filling for the next few days...

Made a batch of bread dough as the girl wanted cinnamon stix and I wanted cloverleaf rolls to go along with our steaks tonight after hockey.

I have the last piece of the GQF incubator half painted. Once that is done, I can finish the case assembly and wiring. You'd never guess it was close to 20 years old, caught on fire, and taken over as a rodent nest.

I am so tempted...there are a few GQF incubators out there on CL right now. I don't need them. I DO NOT NEED THEM. I keep telling myself I do not need them. But the price is sooo good!

Last edited:
I went to get a few apples to make a pie, and ended up at an orchard picking 25 pounds of mixed varieties. Gonna be putting up pie filling for the next few days...

Made a batch of bread dough as the girl wanted cinnamon stix and I wanted cloverleaf rolls to go along with our steaks tonight after hockey.

I have the last piece of the GQF incubator half painted. Once that is done, I can finish the case assembly and wiring. You'd never guess it was close to 20 years old, caught on fire, and taken over as a rodent nest.

I am so tempted...there are a few GQF incubators out there on CL right now. I don't need them. I DO NOT NEED THEM. I keep telling myself I do not need them. But the price is sooo good!

Meant to pick some apples myself today, but didn't make it. I want to make a cobbler so badly. Neighbor gave us some pears, is a pear cobbler any good? :) Cinnamon stix sounds really good.

Step away from CL... LOL Heck, as good as you are at refurbishing them, and if the price is that good, buy them, refurb them, and sell them!

Ok, so here are a few pics of the mostly-finished building/coop/run. Still have some work to do on the watering system, but can use hanging waterers until we get that part done. The outside security was the prime issue. The brick walkway was a must, because of the red clay ground. The rain we had for several days made it horrible. But luckily, today was beautiful!

The nest boxes are inside the storage area, so easy to gather eggs. The back area can be accessed by the chickens from under the back side of the wall, and I can fill feeders and waterers from inside, through a door to either side. That area is separated by wire, so the breeds can't mix. Big Guy, Punkin, and the reds will still be able to free-range through their automatic door. Once I move the lavenders, they will stay in the run unless I am there to let them out and supervise.

For anyone who doesn't know, this is at our camp/farm, which is about 45 minutes from my house. Its our weekend retreat, and any other time we feel like going there.

Oh, the chickens were like kids while we were building... into everything! Saturday night, I thought they had all gone into their coop. Got up this morning, and counted 7 girls. Went to get eggs, and one chicken had gotten locked in the building. From the looks of the droppings, she roosted in the lavenders' coop, then made herself a nest on the shelf in the back of the building to lay her egg this morning!

And I have to say, my body is feeling all that work! I'm too old to be climbing on roofs! Not to mention, yesterday we had a sheet of plywood sticking up out of the back of the pickup truck, and I was looking down, and ran right into it HARD with my forehead and the corner of my eye. Looks like I was in a cat fight!

Meant to pick some apples myself today, but didn't make it. I want to make a cobbler so badly. Neighbor gave us some pears, is a pear cobbler any good? :) Cinnamon stix sounds really good.

Step away from CL... LOL Heck, as good as you are at refurbishing them, and if the price is that good, buy them, refurb them, and sell them!
You have apples?

Not in my yard, but a neighbor at camp has a couple of trees, and a neighbor at home has one. So maybe tomorrow....
Ah, I see. Lucky you. I think I'm the only one with apple trees for like a 5 mile radius (Maybe more, I have the only apples I've seen in this area) and mine don't really produce (Pollination problems) We got apples 3 years ago but that was it
sad.png

Ah, I see. Lucky you. I think I'm the only one with apple trees for like a 5 mile radius (Maybe more, I have the only apples I've seen in this area) and mine don't really produce (Pollination problems) We got apples 3 years ago but that was it
sad.png

Bummer. Would you be able to plant more to help with pollination? I know it would take some years, but it might be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom