Chickens In Ya Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worked on the coop all day today. I think its ready for the lavenders. That will be a bitter sweet move. Will take some pics tomorrow. We painted until it got too dark to see what I was painting lol

sounds like everyone was hard at today . didn't get in from work until after dark like 8:30 slow going .had to go down a steep slop to dig . nerve racking job . should have been able to do it in four hours not even half finished digging. back at it early tomorrow . one thing when everyone is busy working at home you'll don't post much catch up is easy . did see one smutty black laced chick though but only had time for step one .
ep.gif
had to stay focused on staying on that hill . we want to see the chicken castle painted though . so post some pictures . hatching Ravyns eggs this weekend eight hatched so far five more piped at last check run down and pictures tomorrow I hope . If work doesn't take twelve hours again .
th.gif
frow.gif
it's really the other side that's dragging

Last edited:
Nice. I dread moving the LOs, and its just an hour drive.
That doesn't sound like a bad price. I got $40 out of one Slate hen alone. She was about 6 months old.
40 bucks holy crapoli!

Nice looking birds! What was your plan when you bought them? I'd say enjoy them for a while, hatch some eggs, sell some eggs, then eat'em or sell'em later.
smile.png

I just love all the noises they make. They have a language all their own.
eat them lol are they LOUD?

Wow, they look great!! I'd say you did good!!

I hope so or hubs will behead ME instead
They are beauties, and you got a great deal! I sell young adult toms for $75 and hens for $45. I see what looks like 5 toms and 4 hens in that pen.

Keep the better tom (long shanks, no knob on keel, good temperament, good size) and the hens.

The hens will lay in spring, and you can readily sell poults and eggs. They will pay for themselves, and then you can sell young trios and eat some and sell the extra toms for meat.
OMG seriously 75 bucks and 45!!!!! I will ask for help before slitting necks
hide.gif
if thats ok? videos ok? I wont process any until Christmas cause Dad has an empty pheasant run I can keep a pair if they get temperamental. How many eggs a week and how long, from when to when,

Beautiful birds!!!! I want some of these!!!
thumbsup.gif

So I went to a swap today in SC and sold my 4 cockerels!!!! I'm happy but sad to see them go. Lol!!!
awesome! well its better than having to eat them like we do! I do get sad sometimes with certain ones

Worked on the coop all day today. I think its ready for the lavenders. That will be a bitter sweet move. Will take some pics tomorrow. We painted until it got too dark to see what I was painting lol
pics please!

sounds like everyone was hard at today . didn't get in from work until after dark like 8:30 slow going .had to go down a steep slop to dig . nerve racking job . should have been able to do it in four hours not even half finished digging. back at it early tomorrow . one thing when everyone is busy working at home you'll don't post much catch up is easy . did see one smutty black laced chick though but only had time for step one .
ep.gif
had to stay focused on staying on that hill . we want to see the chicken castle painted though . so post some pictures . hatching Ravyns eggs this weekend eight hatched so far five more piped at last check run down and pictures tomorrow I hope . If work doesn't take twelve hours again .
th.gif
frow.gif
it's really the other side that's dragging

no pics they aint happenin!!

eat them lol are they LOUD?

OMG seriously 75 bucks and 45!!!!! I will ask for help before slitting necks
hide.gif
if thats ok? videos ok? I wont process any until Christmas cause Dad has an empty pheasant run I can keep a pair if they get temperamental. How many eggs a week and how long, from when to when,

awesome! well its better than having to eat them like we do! I do get sad sometimes with certain ones

Turkeys are quieter than crowing roosters by a long shot, and the gobbles sound much nicer IMO.

Not too many people raise heritage turkeys around me, and Narragansetts are one of the most beautiful heritage varieties. You process them just like chickens, slice the two major neck arteries while not slicing the trachea, and let them bleed out. With large birds, it's best to wrap them in a bath towel to bind the wings for your own safety. The wings will hurt if they slap you, same as geese and other large fowl. For my really big birds, like a 52 pound broad breasted tom I once raised, I just took a scalpel-sharp chef's knife and sliced along the side of his neck as he lay sunbathing in the garden. No panic, no fuss, no fight.

My Narragansetts have never been temperamental. They are very inquisitive and friendly, I can pick up the tom and walk around with him under my arm at any time, and you may have seen pictures of Baby, my former house turkey.

The hens laid an average of about 90 eggs each for me this year. Last year I had a hen start in January, this year the first egg was March, and I am still getting a couple of eggs a week. I was getting 4-5 eggs a week at peak from each of my three yearling hens.

If I had to choose between raising chickens and turkeys, I'd raise turkeys.

Some fresh photos of my youngest batch of "Fancy Easter Eggers". These are crosses of my Salmon Faverolle x Ameraucana rooster over both EE hens.

Her colors with the neck lacing are very pretty, and she has nice muffs and beard.

This one never sits still, but the copper feathers are fairly well laced with black.

I love the black beard and gray shanks on this one.

This one has feathered legs and nice muff and beard. It also has hackles and saddle feathers, and clucks like a hen. Others from the same batch were already sold off as cockerels and I am curious to see if this one ends up crowing or laying. By the feathers I'd say roo but the voice and behavior is all girl.

And the Oregon Gray sport is growing out nicely.

No barring on the tail feathers, just mixed/mottled. I can't wait to see what the next moult brings.

Last edited:
Some fresh photos of my youngest batch of "Fancy Easter Eggers". These are crosses of my Salmon Faverolle x Ameraucana rooster over both EE hens. Her colors with the neck lacing are very pretty, and she has nice muffs and beard. This one never sits still, but the copper feathers are fairly well laced with black. I love the black beard and gray shanks on this one. This one has feathered legs and nice muff and beard. It also has hackles and saddle feathers, and clucks like a hen. Others from the same batch were already sold off as cockerels and I am curious to see if this one ends up crowing or laying. By the feathers I'd say roo but the voice and behavior is all girl. And the Oregon Gray sport is growing out nicely. No barring on the tail feathers, just mixed/mottled. I can't wait to see what the next moult brings.
Very nice, Walnut!

First day off with sunshine in three weeks. So much to do...
Feels good to see the flocks again :D
Penguin chick marans looking very nice, and AMs are gorgeous :thumbsup

Glad to hear yours all survived. ;)

:frow

Yep, I'm with sc... finally a nice weekend so got lots to do, lol... did get an awesome score last night... used one of these for 50 bucks...

http://www.google.com/search?q=rubb...FYXVHgodAKkJHw#spd=2154455906949420701&spud=0

Think it'll be good temporarily for the Calls... with some mods, lol...

Glad you also got a nice weekend. We faired off okay. It did rain some here but nothing that would atop us from doing any work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom