Chickens sneezing, coughing, gaping,

ShelleyWest2017

Hatching
Jul 24, 2017
On Saturday I had one sick chicken. Today I have six. The first one to get sick is doing better but it seems to be spreading. Any help appreciated. I've only had chickens for about six months....

You made be dealing with something that can be fixed with antibiotics or something that just can't be fixed with anything, and needs to run its course. I'd bet on the first option. Can you take one in to a vet asap?

I'm sorry to hear you lost one.
Can you take one to the vet?
How old are they?
Do they have mucous and/or watery eyes?

It sounds like you have a respiratory disease, there are several that have similar symptoms. Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Coryza and ILT are some of the most common. Antibiotics like injectable Tylan50 can be used to treat any secondary infections. Respiratory illnesses can make also make birds carriers for life.

Try to keep them hydrated, add some poultry vitamins to the water to help give them a boost, protein like egg or tuna is usually well received when birds are ill.

If you can see a vet or contact you state lab for testing, that would be a good idea. You need to know what illness you are dealing with.

Putting your location in your profile is helpful, so we can give you better information.
Here's a list of state labs in the US:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Can I ask how long you have had your flock and if you recently brought any new birds home?

I'm sorry to hear you lost one.
Can you take one to the vet?
How old are they?
Do they have mucous and/or watery eyes?

It sounds like you have a respiratory disease, there are several that have similar symptoms. Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Coryza and ILT are some of the most common. Antibiotics like injectable Tylan50 can be used to treat any secondary infections. Respiratory illnesses can make also make birds carriers for life.

Try to keep them hydrated, add some poultry vitamins to the water to help give them a boost, protein like egg or tuna is usually well received when birds are ill.

If you can see a vet or contact you state lab for testing, that would be a good idea. You need to know what illness you are dealing with.

Putting your location in your profile is helpful, so we can give you better information.
Here's a list of state labs in the US:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf
The closest vet that will see a chicken is about six hours away....I have given them vitamins and tried vetrx today. I have moved all the ones showing symptoms away from others. They don't have any kind of eye or nose discharge....I'm at a loss as to what to do now.

Where are you located?

Check to make sure that there is enough ventilation in their housing, birds need a lot of fresh air. Clean up excess droppings that can give off ammonia fumes, check for any molds in the coop/run and dry to keep dust down. All these things can irritate the respiratory system further.

If you have a Tractor Supply, they still carry injectable antibiotics like Tylan50. It may help give them some relief. Tylan50 can be given orally or by injection - dosage is 1cc or ml per 5lbs of weight, give 2x a day for 5days.

Where are you located?

Check to make sure that there is enough ventilation in their housing, birds need a lot of fresh air. Clean up excess droppings that can give off ammonia fumes, check for any molds in the coop/run and dry to keep dust down. All these things can irritate the respiratory system further.

If you have a Tractor Supply, they still carry injectable antibiotics like Tylan50. It may help give them some relief. Tylan50 can be given orally or by injection - dosage is 1cc or ml per 5lbs of weight, give 2x a day for 5days.
I'm located in Indiana. I'll head to tsc. Thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom