Chickens suddenly don't like their run anymore

3chickchicks

Songster
9 Years
Jun 25, 2013
Utah
Mine free range during the day except for when the dogs are out. One of mine has an incredibly high prey drive (bred into him) so it's not likely that I'll ever be able to trust him to leave them alone. Anyway, I round the chickens up so they'll go to the run, close the door, let the dogs out to do their business, then let them back out once the dogs are in. At night, the chickens go to the coop (located in the run) on their own.

Lately, they want to go everywhere but the run when I need them to go into the run. I've tried bribing them with mealworms and they've already figured that out. A month or so ago, a cat had come by but they weren't in the run at the time of attack. Otherwise, no predators that I know of.

Any ideas to make this easier? They're close to laying age and have been rather pissy with me lately.

Keep them in for awhile, it sucks, but it's time to remind them where their home is, also if they are getting close to laying age, you wan them to lay in their coop/run to make them easier to find.

Keep them in for awhile, it sucks, but it's time to remind them where their home is, also if they are getting close to laying age, you wan them to lay in their coop/run to make them easier to find.

I've locked them up. So sad. And boss hen has a few choice words for you which I don't want to repeat, lol!

Back
Top Bottom