Chickens survived Hurricane Irene - Run did not!!!p

Thanks everyone for the support. We have taken it all down today and plan to start rebuilding tomorrow. I am going to make the run bigger because unfortunately I didn't understand chicken math when we first built it. I planned on only having 3 chickens and now have 8. I can't wait to rebuild my chicken run. The chickens have been having fun free ranging 100% of the day though.

hugs.gif
pine trees are not my friend either. Thank goodness i didnt have chickens pre-katrina oh they never would have made it. We lost 13 pines and i had 5 more taken down. I have another 5 i would love to get rid of!!!
somad.gif

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm glad you have a plan to enlarge your run and everyone is safe and sound. Good luck and have fun building!

Before the hurricane my husband loved his trees. We have about 35 mature trees all around the house and they are so pretty and help keep the house and yard cool in the summer. After the hurricane my husband wants to cut all the trees down. I still don't understand why certain ones fell and the others didn't. We had a good mixture of pines and oaks that fell. Weird!

I know how your husband feels, wants to cut down all trees that are at risk of ever falling and damaging anything on your property. I myself just love trees, of any kind, and willing to take the risk, but lots of others around here are not able to tolerate that risk and cut em down. Important thing is you made it through safe, chickens too.
smile.png

Sorry about the run but be greatful it wasn't the house... bet there was a lot of poo under the roost that morning.

Last edited:
Glad you and your chickens survived unscathed. Those are some incredible photos.. So glad your house and coop were missed by that tree. I, too, would be heartbroken to have lost such a beautiful run. May your next run be just as lovely!

Glad your chickens are ok. Bright side is it gives the excuse to make the run bigger
lol.png
We had a pine just miss the guinea coop and only minor damage to the run. Just had the insurance guy here today to get an estimate for our travel trailer that had a branch go through the side. Greatful things weren't worse.

Back
Top Bottom