Chickens tongue keeps almost going down her throat

Pics

OwO

Songster
9 Years
May 26, 2014
UK
It's hard to explain, it's not her throat but like under her beak? She is quite old and it happened the first time about a week ago, now it's happened about 5 times in the last hour.

It is getting caught under the inside of her beak and she cant get it out unless I open her mouth really wide and push the bottom of her mouth. When I first open her beak you can't see her tongue at all, as if it's missing

I found these threads from a while ago and I think this explains what happened in those threads. I can literally see the tongue poking her skin so I am worried that it will eventually push through

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-my-hens-tongue-is-hanging-out-under-her-beak.1037420/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...g-something-sticking-out-from-throat.1198930/

1672145763867.png

1672145777551.png

Yeah her breath doesn't smell great, she also has favus which I've been unsuccessfully trying to treat for the past month. Will call the vet tomorrow as soon as they open and hopefully get her seen later this week. Hoping she will make it to then as she has gone downhill the last couple of days. Thanks everyone.

Update: Took her to the vet today, they said because of her age and everything that's going on with her (made another post about it: possible favus and ear infections) it's best to give her Metacam, do ear drops again, and put her on Amoxicillin, and just hope it works, if not then it's best to let her go :( She is eating fairly well but I have to itch her ears sometimes for her because she can't reach (wry neck likely due to ear infection)

However they didn't find anything in her mouth, I think the stuff you see on her tongue is just the spikey parts at the back of a chickens tongue. She still has what I think is fungus on her face but they didn't do any tests. I did buy Miconazole to put on... hopefully it will work.

The Amoxicillin however.... how on earth am I meant to get her to eat 1.5 of these a day? They are massive :lol: they make her food bright pink. I have always had the little 250mg capsules before which were easy, but this is a 500mg block (3/4 twice a day). Could this have been a mistake?

Also her tongue hasn't done that weird thing since I first posted fortunately

1672406240192.png
1672406248493.png

That is a lot of amoxicillin. How much does she weigh? Most people give 125-250 mg twice a day orally. Some vets use 57mg per pound of weight twice daily. You can split the tablet into 2 or 4 pieces. They can swallow a piece whole. Or you can crush it and hide it in just a bit of food. I use scramble egg, but cream cheese, peanut butter, or cat food pate work well. The miconazole may help if the skin problem is fungal or favus. Some also use coconut oil for dry or scaly skin.

Back
Top Bottom