Chickens tongue keeps almost going down her throat

That is a lot of amoxicillin. How much does she weigh? Most people give 125-250 mg twice a day orally. Some vets use 57mg per pound of weight twice daily. You can split the tablet into 2 or 4 pieces. They can swallow a piece whole. Or you can crush it and hide it in just a bit of food. I use scramble egg, but cream cheese, peanut butter, or cat food pate work well. The miconazole may help if the skin problem is fungal or favus. Some also use coconut oil for dry or scaly skin.
That's what I was thinking regarding the amoxicillin. She weighs 2.3kg (5 pounds) so I guess it makes sense with the 57mg/lb. I have been crushing it and putting it in mashed up pellets in water with cat food and she's been eating it, so I guess I'll just continue doing that for now :)

Seriously, crushing pills is wasted effort. Chickens can swallow things we would choke on. Put the pill well back on her tongue, close her beak, and the pill magically disappears. Ever wonder why chickens don't have teeth? They don't need to chew like we do in order to swallow stuff.
Thanks, will try that next time I give it to her. Might just file down the sharp corners from where I've snapped it first though

Forgot to mention, she isn't pooping as regularly as she should be, and when she does it's a LOT and fairly runny. It also absolutely stinks, worse than normally. I'd say otherwise the colouring looks mostly normal. Is it possible for them to get "sour gizzard" or could this be from something else? I have wormer on the way

Really smelly poop can indicate bacterial infection. The antibiotic should take care if it.

If you take a sample of her poop to the vet, they can test it (fecal float) to see if it has worms eggs in it, also coccidia. It would be good to rule both of those out. If she's positive, then you'll know which to treat for.

Really smelly poop can indicate bacterial infection. The antibiotic should take care if it.

If you take a sample of her poop to the vet, they can test it (fecal float) to see if it has worms eggs in it, also coccidia. It would be good to rule both of those out. If she's positive, then you'll know which to treat for.
Gave her the other part of the tablet a few hours ago into her beak and she swallowed it, was a lot easier than I thought :D Also she started doing normal poo now which is good, so hopefully she's on the road to recovery, I will still worm her and carry on with the medicine to be sure and give a sample if it goes badly again

She is not doing well, her balance is so bad and she is always holding her neck at an awkward angle :( She ate quite a lot today but it takes a lot of encouragement. I filled her ears with Miconozole a second ago just as a last resort because she isn't improving, I really don't know what to do. Her face skin looks like it's cleared up but her ear must be hurting her :( I don't want to have to let her go just over an ear infection

Is her crop still slow and not emptying by morning? Have you finished worming her? It's important you update this information so we can advise you on the next step.

Answer those two questions and tell us how she's behaving besides the balance issue. Is she very weak? Does she seem to have a constant runny discharge? Try to tell us every detail you can think of. Did you ever have a fecal float test done to confirm worms?

Is her ear swollen? Does it have a crusty discharge? What made you decide to treat the ear with an antifungal?

Is her crop still slow and not emptying by morning? Have you finished worming her? It's important you update this information so we can advise you on the next step.

Answer those two questions and tell us how she's behaving besides the balance issue. Is she very weak? Does she seem to have a constant runny discharge? Try to tell us every detail you can think of. Did you ever have a fecal float test done to confirm worms?

Is her ear swollen? Does it have a crusty discharge? What made you decide to treat the ear with an antifungal?
Her outer ear does appear to be swollen slightly, I treated with antifungal because I believe she has favus and that it was spreading into her ear. Treatment of her face with the antifungal cream seems to have cleared it up a lot, so I hoped it would do the same to her ear. I know inner ear infections can give neurological symptoms, and she keeps shaking her head and trying to scratch her ear so I feel fairly certain the main problem is her ears.

I haven't done a fecal float, I have started worming her and her poop looks very normal now honestly. She doesn't necessarily seem weak, just not able to balance properly. When she was eating during the day she was pecking the food more or less as normal.

Her crop seems to be emptying fine, it was very big last night and felt flat in the morning and she had done a lot of normal looking poo overnight.

Worming can sometimes make a chicken with a heavy worm load suffer some shock from it. The symptoms manifest as weakness and imbalance. If the worm load is especially heavy. All the worms dying inside her can overwhelm her system if absorption of the dead worms is too slow. This can be countered in two ways.

One is to treat for shock. One cup of water with one teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt stirred in. The second is a molasses flush if it's suspected the worms are forming a clog in the intestines or gizzard. But this is not indicated as her crop has reverted to functioning normally. If it were still full in the morning, then that would indicate she has a blockage, which is not uncommon following worming.

So, I suggest the shock treatment for the next 24 hours. It's simple and easy, and can work miracles, helping to return her to normal.

The ear swelling could be from fungus, but it more likely is bacterial. An antibiotic such as Tylosin is the best one for this purpose if you can find it there in UK. Or, you can go the cheap, easy route and stuff the affected ear with an all purpose antibacterial ointment such as Neosporin twice a day until it clears up.

Back
Top Bottom