Chickens tongue keeps almost going down her throat

Did the vet run a culture to see what the infection was from - was it bacterial or protozoal?
Ear canker comes to mind for the ear, but hard to know.
No, I did ask them about that but they said it would take a few weeks for fungus. I got the impression they didn't think she would survive long enough to get the results. Kinda wish I persisted and asked them to go ahead with it anyway :/

Also there is nothing visible in either ear, so I'm thinking it's something to do with her inner ear. Just read online that it's usually from a viral issue and generally gets better on its own within a few weeks... so maybe the eardrops aren't actually helping at all and I should just focus on pain relief? Not sure :(

Worming can sometimes make a chicken with a heavy worm load suffer some shock from it. The symptoms manifest as weakness and imbalance. If the worm load is especially heavy. All the worms dying inside her can overwhelm her system if absorption of the dead worms is too slow. This can be countered in two ways.

One is to treat for shock. One cup of water with one teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt stirred in. The second is a molasses flush if it's suspected the worms are forming a clog in the intestines or gizzard. But this is not indicated as her crop has reverted to functioning normally. If it were still full in the morning, then that would indicate she has a blockage, which is not uncommon following worming.

So, I suggest the shock treatment for the next 24 hours. It's simple and easy, and can work miracles, helping to return her to normal.

The ear swelling could be from fungus, but it more likely is bacterial. An antibiotic such as Tylosin is the best one for this purpose if you can find it there in UK. Or, you can go the cheap, easy route and stuff the affected ear with an all purpose antibacterial ointment such as Neosporin twice a day until it clears up.
Thanks, I have been giving small amounts of sugar in her food already :) I was more worried about her gizzard than her crop since her crop has seemed to been emptying pretty well but she wasn't pooping a lot, but it seems fine now.

She ate a decent amount today as well after a lot of encouragement. She wants to keep eating but then will try to itch her face but can't reach it or almost falls over because of her balance, then stops eating, so I have to scratch her face for her :(

Is it worth putting antibacterial ointment in the ears even if I can't see any discharge or build up of anything? I am suspecting inner ear infection based on what I've read online.

No, I did ask them about that but they said it would take a few weeks for fungus. I got the impression they didn't think she would survive long enough to get the results. Kinda wish I persisted and asked them to go ahead with it anyway :/

Also there is nothing visible in either ear, so I'm thinking it's something to do with her inner ear. Just read online that it's usually from a viral issue and generally gets better on its own within a few weeks... so maybe the eardrops aren't actually helping at all and I should just focus on pain relief? Not sure :(
Can you get some updated photos of what her face and ears look like now?

If she's really itchy, then I'd continue with which ever ointment seems to give her the best relief, whether it's something like vaseline, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, etc.

I too would get her on vitamin E and see if that helps with her balance. Won't hurt anything.

Thanks again for the help, I took a video of her eating and a video of her trying to scratch an itch on her head. Along with her balance I think that is one of the main problems she's having and I feel so bad for her but I don't want to let her go because it seems treatable :( Not sure what to do

Here's the videos, pls let me know if the link doesnt work

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZkG64FXcBUX7qpZj9

When she tries to scratch her head she can't reach it because she's bending her neck horribly and she just gives up and then doesn't want to eat until I scratch it for her which usually works periodically. Not sure exactly where is so itchy so I just scratch all over her head including ears.

I am giving her rooster booster with her food which says it has Vitamin E in, so I will keep doing that and hope it will help in some way. Here's a sc of her face from the video, it's still very crusty and waxy. She has had a swollen face for years now but I'd say it does look worse than normal currently:

1672938831320.png

edit: could the Daktarin/Miconazole be making her face itchy?

Last edited:
I'm following along silently and not qualified to give you medical advice here, but wanted to let you know that when I click on your links using my android phone, I get this message,:
"Can't find link. This link has been deleted or the URL is invalid."
Ah damn, thanks for letting me know, I will upload to YouTube later on if others also have the issue

Edit: I changed the link, maybe it will work now

Back
Top Bottom